'93 Pontiac LeMans

Old 01-06-03, 11:56 PM
Kim Harris
Visiting Guest
Angry '93 Pontiac LeMans

Hello again. I have a '93 Pontiac LeMans (1.6 L) that is giving me real fits. I purchased this caar from a car lot (and I'm still paying on it), and It wont move. We replaced the water pump when it went bad...then we went to have my brother in law put a new head gasket on it. We found out the head had been cracked before we bought it and they put that metallic crap in it to try to fix it, so we cleaned out the ports, and replaced the head and gaskets. It didn't want to run perfect, but it did run for about a week, then it wouldn't start. Now it will start, but when you go to put it in gear it dies. I know it may have been a tooth out of time, would this cause this?? PLEASE HELP...I am tired of messing with this piece of crap that is still being paid for and can't be driven. Thank you....

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-03, 07:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Start with my post "The Basics" below.

You may have recourse against the used car dealer depending on the state and law if you were deceived like that. It was obviously cobbled together to get it running.

Get it running and pitch this car. Very poor quality and very problematic. Move onto something better ASAP.

Old 01-07-03, 08:36 AM
Kim Harris
Visiting Guest
Thanks again Joe. I went to the basics link. We have also replaced the pick up coil, distributor cap, spark plug wires and spark plugs. This car ran so good before the water pump went out and we found out the head had been cracked. I still owe payments on it for like another year, I was just hoping it could be fixed and be a good dependable car. From what you said it doesn't sound like it though.
We have a lemon law here in Ohio I think, but how would I prove that the head was cracked before I bought it? It ran for like 6 months after I bought it, and now it has been down for like 5 months.
I though maybe the Daewoo engine that is in it would be dependable like some of the Toyota's that i have owned...on those the body's fell apart before the engine did. LOL.
Thanks again.

Old 01-07-03, 09:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, the LeMans (the Daewoo iteration) was a wicked heap from the first one that rolled out in 1988 through 1993 when the plug was pulled on it.

The REAL LeMans (the Pontiac made rear drive one) was far superior in every respect to this Daewoo cheapo copy.

You still don't have the basics nailed down. Does it have spark? Fuel pressure? Distributor rotor turn when cranked? Backfire?

You might want to contact the authorities that handle used car/dealer complaints in Ohio and see what can be done and what requirements you have to meet.

In hindsight, you could file a Better Business Bureau complaint or call your local news channel and show the damage to them. If nothing else, they might cause some bad publicity for the dealership if they deny it or try to play it off as "tough luck".

Old 01-07-03, 11:06 AM
Kim Harris
Visiting Guest
Oh, okay.....yes, It has spark, and fuel pressure...Does the distributor rotor turn when cranked??? That one went way over my head...I don't know what that means. LOL. It will start, sometimes it takes it a few times trying, but it will....and it does backfire...and stalls going up hills. It ran rougher once it got warmed up than it did when it was cold. On Thanksgiving day, it wouldn't start at all (it would turn over...just not kick into the running mode LOL) then a couple days after that it started, but when we would put it in gear..It would die...so we pushed it to the back yard. We put an 02 sensor on it and it seemed to straighten out, until I went up a big hill...then it backfired and died again...hasn't ran right since. Thanks, i think I remembered everything this time. LOL. Have a good day.

Old 01-07-03, 05:45 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Shoulda let it roll downhill on its own and then call the authorities to fish it out of the river . Fix this thing and unload it. LOL

Ya, it has fuel pressure, but how much? You need to measure it with a fuel pressure gauge---go to Autozone and they'll rent you one for free.

Take the distributor cap off. Crank the engine. Does the distributor rotor turn? If it does not, the timing belt broke. You need that

Start there and let's see what we have.

Old 01-07-03, 10:37 PM
Kim Harris
Visiting Guest
LOL, Yeah, I never thought of letting it roll down the hill. LOL. Okay, I will start with the things you told me to try, but I am seriously thinking of letting them come and reposses the piece of crap. It would stop me from having to make the payments on it any way I think. LOL. Thanks Joe for all your help.

Old 01-08-03, 03:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

No! It will ruin your credit if you took a loan on the car.

Continue to pay as scheduled and then fight your cause to get money back or have them reimburse you later on. In this fashion, you are on the up and up.

My sister had a problem with a brand new Durango and there were months she called up Chrysler and said, "I'm simply not going to pay you this month for this vehicle. It has been out of service X days this month and by leasing a vehicle, I am paying for usage, actually. Well the vehicle was not available X days per month, and I'm not paying you". Three times, Chrysler agreed to that, but ONLY after she called and spoke to the lender!

You might choose to do the same!

Old 01-08-03, 08:18 AM
Kim Harris
Visiting Guest
Talking

I didn't take a loan out on it...It is a buy here, pay here lot. WIll it still work like that? Thanks for the information. You are my car gaurdian angel.

Old 01-08-03, 09:33 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes, the lender (in this case the car lot) will go after you and try to ruin your credit if you don't pay for the vehicle.

Keep very good track and records as to when it stopped running and when you had problems. In all honesty, you probably should have confronted them when you found that problem with the head gasket and all that gook in there used to seal it up.

You could have called them and said, "Hey guys, you know you duped me!!!" That would have been a notch in your belt.

At this point, you've had the car a year or so (right??) and complaining now may be too late.

To get it running, make sure the timing is dead on. As I mentioned before, go to the autolibrary.org link I have in my signature file and look up the timing procedure.

After it's timed correctly, check for proper fuel pressure, spark and the like. Let's go from there.

In the interim, you might want to get rolling on telling the lot that sold you the car that they sold you a lemon.

In the past, my neighbor as a repair shop owner used to take photos of cars he worked on so that he would have proof of what he did and how certain cars arrived and in what condition. This way, if there were questions later on, it was evident as to what the truth was.

Old 01-08-03, 10:28 AM
Kim Harris
Visiting Guest
okay, I did contact them when we found out the the gunk was put in to try to fix the head. We were 300 miles away from home when we found out, so we had to borrow a car to get back home and to get to work. I called the car lot and told them what we had found. We asked them if they had done a compression check on the car when they got it in, or at any time that they had had it, they said no, that it would be too expensive to do the checks on all the cars, so they dont do them. They asked how much it would be fix it...so we had my brother in law check around to get the cheapest price for a new head, then the new bolts(you gotta put new ones on when you replace the head...the bolts alone were like almost 100 dollars for 10 bolts!) , so we told them a new head was around 800.00 and the price of the bolts, I had all ready bought a head gasket kit, and they were going to charge 200.00 for labor. The car lot said that was too much, they wanted to tow the car back down here and put it in a shop and then split the cost with us...this would have been more expensive for us and we couldn't afford it. So after we waited for like a month for them to try to figure out what they were going to do, we told them we would pay for a used head and the labor and stuff ourselves...If they would knock 3 payments off of the car. Easier for them and easier for us. They said okay. Then after it was all said and done, they said no, they agreed to tack the 3 payments on to the end of the payments. So they didn't have to pay a dime for anything. I never got any of this in writting ( my stupidity). I bought the car in Feb., 2002 and It broke down in Aug. 2002. Then we finally got in back in Oct. 2002...it ran for 1 week (****ty) then broke down again. My brother in law had a hell of a time getting it to run good enough so it would stay running, so he thought it would be okay until we got it on a dialysis machine, so he brought it back down here and picked his back up ( we were borrowing his all that time). So, what do you think we should do? I really can't afford to keep paying for it since it is not running, but I will if I have too. They know that it is not running still. Thanks.

Old 01-08-03, 11:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Put yourself on top. Continue paying.

Now it's time to call up the authorities on these guys. They are not being truthful in my belief. They've backed out on promises and things they said they would do.

You gave them plenty of options, and yet they seem to have backed out on all of them.

My next phone call to them would be as such, "I'm giving you guys one last time to make good on this. If you don't, I'm going to call the Better Business Bureau and whatever other consumer advocate groups I have to do. I hate to do it, but you've left me no choice. This is your last chance. I've given you options that I've felt were fair. After all, you weren't truthful from the beginning with this car. ".

See where that nets you. If it's not "we'll fix it for free, we'll take care of it", or something to your satisfaction, make sure you record the time and day you call, keep good notes and then call up:

1) The Better Business Bureau for your City.
2) The local newschannel, "Shame on You" or other "Eye Witness" news group and tell them the whole magila. They love that stuff and can get you results---or at minimum some bad press for the lot that's done this to you.
3) Speak to the BBB and ask if suing them would be an option. They should be able to help you determine if you can do that.
4) If the BBB can't help, the local small claims court probably can advise if you can file for this or not.

DO NOT stop paying on the car, or you will be in for a lot of credit ruination for years. You can always sue them later in court if you have to.

My cousin had this EXACT same scenario with a 1992 Grand Am Quad 4 she bought from a local lot. She never asked me about this car or this type of car, bought it and naturally, it gave her trouble. Blown head gasket, leaky windows, flood in the trunk, non-working accessories, etc. Lots of money in repairs (for which the lot should have covered free), ltos of lost time at work, phone calls, aggravation, and heartache.

I had it worked out with her to get the dealer on board. My aunt was also very supportive of my plight to tell them to go sit on a rock...lol...and she's the most civil person you'll meet in your life.

When all was said and done, my cousin bailed out and lost her payments that she gave them, the money she spent on the car, gave back the car, and just washed her hands of the whole thing.

I'm going to bet you the dealer took back the car, fixed it and resold it and it's out there AGAIN!!! I was a bit disappointed that she didn't follow through and really take these guys to task!

Old 01-08-03, 08:44 PM
Another area to look into calling about this is your state's Attorny General..Here in Arkansas, they have a consumer fraud section, and they LOVE going after scammers..Sometimes just the threat of calling the Attoney General is enough...

Old 01-08-03, 10:00 PM
Kim Harris
Visiting Guest
Okay, I will do as you advise. I will let you know what happens. I have prepaid legal through my work...should I contact them also?? Thanks again.

Old 01-09-03, 10:11 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure. If you have access to free lawyers/advice, surely pursue that.

I'm sure a dealer/lot wouldn't like getting "some paper" in the mail. A lawsuit will probably make them hop a bit.

Do what is in your means to resolve the issue and get it done in your favor! .

Old 01-09-03, 10:04 PM
Kim Harris
Visiting Guest
Okay Joe. I will do that then.
On the other car...the '86 Nissan Stanza...It left us stranded yesterday. We put a new thermostat on it, but noticed ow when it overheats...it sometimes throws antifreeze all over the left side of the car under the hood( like on the battery and stuff). We had to stop every 1/2 mile on the way to work ( for like the last 10 miles of the drive)and let it cool down. We have a 35 minute ride to work that took 1 hour and 45 minutes yesterday, then we also threw the alternator belt on the way to work too. So we caught a ride home with a co worker and that car is sitting at work. Gonna try a new radiator tomorrow. And of course it is suppose to be cold here. Hoping it isn't too bad of a job. Man, I sure hope this works. I am getting kind of desperate, I don't like not having a car. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this. The guy at autozone said it might be a heater core and wanted to know if when we turn the defrost on if it leaves water on the windshield...It doesn't, so he left that thought go. I wish I would have went to school to be a mechanic instead of a beautician. LOL.
Thank you so much of all of your help and advice.

Old 01-10-03, 03:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it threw the belt, you could have a bad water pump. Overheating aluminum headed cars is NOT good . You can ruin the cylinder head on it.

If it were me, I'd pitch both of these heaps and get two more reliable cars. Both of yours are old and among the pits of the pits. In turn, they will turn out to be money pits .

Old 01-10-03, 08:19 AM
Kim Harris
Visiting Guest
Okay...Thanks once again Joe.

Old 01-10-07, 12:13 PM
you are not alone

I bought a 93 Lemans and it is a pile of you know what too!!!Do you happen to know what other cars parts will interchange with the Lemans?? And where the petcock is to drain the radiator?