Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

"Check Engine" light on 92 Cavalier

Visiting Guest

01-07-03, 10:16 AM   #1  
red210c

My 1992 Cavalier (4cyl-2.2L-auto trans-2dr) has the check engine light on. A friend replaced a temperature sensor (although the temp guage readings appeared normal). I had the codes read by Autozone. The results were: code 013-29 lines, code 022-42 lines, code 024-77 lines, and code 042-65 lines. The vehicle runs ok but seems to have a slight decline in performance. Probably wouldn't be noticed by someone who did not drive the car regularly. I was told (by an autozone employee) that these codes indicate that it's an on-board computer prob (ECM?). I was also informed that this particular model of computer requires programming by the dealer-just switching the chip from the old unit to a new one would not work. Is this actually the case? Any help would be appreciated-thanks.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-07-03, 10:22 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Those codes don't seem right. Usually, we are working with two digit numbers on GM models---check the autolibrary.org link I have below.

Yes, some GM computers are reprogrammable units. Essentially, the computer is a "black box" and there are machines and technology that "erase" the program and can install updates...much the same way on a home computer. The vehicle's VIN is pulled from a central data bank and a new program is associated with that VIN based on upgrades, option codes, equipment, known TSBs/recalls, problems, etc.

However, there are aftermarket sources available for reprogramming---not only the dealer. Any good parts store has or can hook up with the capability to do this in a jiffy. It's the wave of the future---most new computers on cars are reprogrammable.

You will spend money in a jiffy without solving the problem by throwing parts at the problem rather than looking for the actual problem! .

Visiting Guest

01-07-03, 10:58 AM   #3  
red210c

Thanks for responding so promptly. I checked the autolibrary link and checked the codes without using the zeros and the parts that came up matched the autozone descriptions. Code 24=Vehicle Speed Sensor, code 42=control module, code 22=Throttle position sensor, code 13=Oxygen sensor. I'm glad to hear that I don't have to rely upon the dealer for reprogramming. repair funds are extremely limited. Thanks for the info. Anything else I should know? I'm completely out of my element here.

01-07-03, 01:50 PM   #4  
the ecm on your car is not reprogrammable and all though most newer models are mostly on the obd2 system, i would suggest clearing the codes by disconnecting the battery and having codes rechecked after driving the vehicle to see if any or all has returned.

Visiting Guest

01-07-03, 03:33 PM   #5  
red210c

Thanks for the info and advice BeJay=i'll give it a shot.

01-07-03, 05:00 PM   #6  
While you're at "resetting" the computer by disconnecting the battery, make sure all cables, (power and ground) are good, clean and tight. Loose connections, corrosion, can cause multiple codes in many cars...

Visiting Guest

01-24-03, 04:02 AM   #7  
red210c
Just wanted to thank all those who responded to this post with their suggestions and advice. The problem wound up being in the ignition module ($122.00 at Autozone.....went to the boneyard and got one for $10.00 ) which was one of the 4 original codes. BTW...Autozone will give anyone a key for checking the codes yourself for the asking. Thanks again everyone.

Red

Visiting Guest

01-24-03, 07:37 AM   #8  
Joe_F
They will also check with a code reader as well to show you the codes.

Search this Thread