GM question for Joe

Old 01-08-03, 11:21 AM
GM question for Joe

Hey- how are you??

well....my dad blew the engine in his transportation vehicles--blew up his 73 celica motor, and blew the motor in his 66 valiant vert a long time ago. Now he is borrowing my 5.0 stang, and putting a 1000 miles a week on an already 180k motor, and I am worried.

He needs to get another car. I have the oportunity to hook him up with a 300,000+ K miles repainted taxi cab/ex cop car.(believe newer mechanicals though, or a 1989 cutlass supreme with a v6---I believe he said 3.1L? Anyway, the cutlass has over 200,000 original miles on it. While I trust GM, I never trust ANY 4 or 6 cylinder american car. What is the realibility record that you have seen for the cutlass? too many miles to bother with?? I am not sure the price, but I wouldn't expect too much.

Thanks for any input

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-03, 11:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Jeremy:

It's piss poor. Skip this one. It's a bad investment unless you get the car for free. At this mileage, you're looking at a lot of wear and heavy usage/parts replacement.

There's far better out there than this one. Buy him a rear drive Chevy 350 or 305, he's not likely to grenade that.

How could your dad blow up a 66 Valiant? . Those things are virtually bulletproof .

Old 01-08-03, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the quick input on that one!

My father has a history of driving everything into the ground. He has gone through 4 motors on a 77 celica, on on his 73, blew up a 318 powered dart a long time ago, blew up the slant 6 in his valiant, blew up a slant 6 in another dart we used to have, the list goes on and on.

He drives a WHOLE lot, I would guess 50-70k a year at least. For that reason he refuses to get a new car--he would drive it straight into the ground within a couple of years.

But blowing up the valiant was a blessing in disquise. He has since put in new interior, has put a new convertible top on it, has put a fresh metalic red paint on the nearly flawless body, and we are now trying to decide between dropping in the 360 that we have, or going with a rebuild on the original slant 6.

Old 01-08-03, 11:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The original slant 6 would be the way I would go. It's about as reliable as you can get.

It is a far superior engine in terms of reliability from any manufacturer. Those engines are virtually bulletproof. I've seen ones last forever on spit and glue.

Cars for me seem to last a lifetime .