1996 Yukon Fuel Line

Old 01-12-03, 11:49 AM
I_Really_Did_it
Visiting Guest
Question 1996 Yukon Fuel Line

I have a 96 GMC Yukon 4WD, with 5.7L SFI gas engine.....

Just finished replacing the intake manifold gasket to cure a coolant leak. Now I have everything reassembled and a more serious leak has developed. I removed the fuel lines from the injector housing when taking off the intake and re-installed with new o-rings but the darn thing is spraying gas out. I have re-installed several times but no luck. Read the Chilton manual pages but not much info on this area. Is there a trick to the fix?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-03, 12:29 PM
are you lubricating the orings before trying to install the line may be damaging the oring if you install it dry coat it with some engine oil before installing, may be the intake is damaged might take a closer look at it when you have the line off.

Old 01-12-03, 04:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If I remember correctly, this has quick connect type fittings that fatigue and break. If so, hit the GM dealer's parts counter. I think this is pretty common and they have repair kits readily available.

P.S., this has CPI injection. You have the 5.7 vin R motor. SFI in the Vortec series came later on .

Old 01-13-03, 05:03 PM
I_Really_Did_it
Visiting Guest
Here is an update...... (Bejay) Checked fuel line female ports on upper intake/injector housing for damage. None seen......re-installed o-rings with a light coating of engine oil. Same results. Still spraying gas around fitting when you turn the key over and engage the electric fuel pump.

(Joe_F) The lines are at the top of the injector housing. The have a factory pressed lip followed by a plastic sleeve, washer and o-rings.... no quick connectors in this location.

Now I am beginning to second guess the sequence of parts that go on the male end of the fuel lines. From end of line going up I have: O-rings, washer, plastic sleeve..... is that correct sequence?

They is a little vertical play in the lines once they are installed and the hold down bracket is tightened..... appears to be normal???

Any other ideas? Time for a troubleshoot at the local GM house?

Old 01-14-03, 05:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Hit your GM dealer's parts counter for an exploded view of the lines and all serviceable parts.

Ya, I believe you are talking about the quick connector setup. Your GM dealer will confirm what's required for you.