inline fuel filter installation question

Old 01-11-03, 07:22 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question inline fuel filter installation question

I have a 79 malibu that is going to be a street cruiser/hotrod. When I bought the car someone had installed a electric fuel pump in the line from the stock tank to the front and they installed it near the tank at the upper side near the floor of the trunk( tight place) and I want to remove the pump and install a fuel filter there in it's place. Can I just use rubber hose and fit it all inplace without flaring the two lines . thanks

Old 01-11-03, 11:28 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

No. Flare the proper tubing. Rubber line is for low PSI applications and really not recommended.

This is a high volume pump and it should have the proper fitted line. A loose connection could mean a fire here.

In lieu of fixing the line, send out the original line (even if cut) to Fine Lines, Inline Tube or Classic Tube and they will make up a replacement the same as the original. They may even have this line preprogrammed in their system and can send them right out to you.

Fix it right.

Old 01-12-03, 12:55 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question reply to joe

Thanks Joe cool. I know that I don't want any leaks if I replace the pump and put instead a inline filter there and I don't think the lines will come off right there without removing the forward complete line and also dropping the tank to get to that line so i was hoping I could simply clamp the fuel line to the filter there,since I have seen cars done the same way with filters coming from the outlet side of the engine fuel pump to the carb for years. They used to do that to solve vapor lock all the time because the fuel line ran so close to the hot engine block and I don't have exhaust pipe going all the way back to the rear,it stops and dumps in front of the differential axel tubes. And I need to install a filter somewhere inline anyway. What do you think I should do. thanks alot joe.

Old 01-12-03, 04:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I have the factory Quadrajet on all my cars (two Pontiac Trans Ams). I simply change the stock filter regularly and use quality fuel...no problems.

You only need one good filter. Use quality fuel and there's no issue. Fix the line correctly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: