sunroof body cancer

Old 01-13-03, 10:05 AM
ohnonowwhat?
Visiting Guest
Unhappy sunroof body cancer

I have a 1990 Geo Prizm which has been developing body cancer on the sunroof the last several years. I've had it repaired and repainted once. The car is so old and not in great shape anyway, and I really don't want to put anymore money into it if I don't have to.

Any suggestions for a DIY patch job to keep it from leaking? I don't really care how it looks at this point and I don't need to open the sun roof. Caulk? Duct tape? Bondo?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-03, 10:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bondo it, but it will crack again. I'd consider pitching this thing if it's rotting that badly. It's probably rotted in other spots too.

You could tape it, it would just breed more rust and make it look crappy .

Old 01-13-03, 10:39 AM
ohnonowwhat?
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe_F
I'd consider pitching this thing if it's rotting that badly. It's probably rotted in other spots too.
Do you mean the whole car or just the sunroof? Can't afford a new car right now, but if the sunroof panel is replaceable for cheap, I'd consider that. And like I said, I don't care if it doesn't work. The panel does have several growing rust patches all around it.

Old 01-13-03, 11:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The car. If it's rotten in one place, it's coming around in others. Just seal it off and do the best you can until you can pitch it for something in better shape down the road.

Old 01-13-03, 12:40 PM
ohnonowwhat?
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks much, Joe.

Old 01-13-03, 02:45 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Heck I would go to the hardware store and find a piece of sheet aluminum that would cover it, a tube of silicone caulk and a few pop rivets. Will outlast car.

Old 01-13-03, 05:17 PM
ohnonowwhat?
Visiting Guest
Talking

Originally posted by darrell McCoy
Heck I would go to the hardware store and find a piece of sheet aluminum that would cover it, a tube of silicone caulk and a few pop rivets. Will outlast car.
And I could fry eggs on it, too!

Old 01-14-03, 02:40 AM
If you dont care what it looks like than you might try using a fiberglass patch kit to seal the top. It probably wouldnt look all that bad either.

Old 01-14-03, 05:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it's not rotted through, POR15 it (rustproofing paint) and then topcoat it with the body color of the car in a spray can.

Done.

Search this Thread