What's this thing called?

Old 01-14-03, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What's this thing called?

Hi Joe, Knuckles, and all!

1985 chevrolet scottsdale

tilt, cruise, column mounted dimmer and wipers (since this question is regarding a part in the steering column).

I went out to start my truck this evening, turned the key, ignition came on, but no start. The key just turned back and forth after that, but the ignition never went off. For some reason, the key wasn't actuating the rod that goes down the column to the switch. I disconnected the battery and started tearing into the column. There is a bottle opener-looking aluminum or potmetal piece that is broken. It has a short row of gear-like teeth on one end, where the gear that is rotated by the keyswitch rides. It moves back and forth to actuate the rod that goes down to the ignition switch. What is this piece called, so I know what to ask for when searching for the replacement part?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-03, 03:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I believe it's called a "rack" or "sector".

If you e-mail me and provide a fax #, I'll send you a breakdown of the steering column.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-03, 10:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Cheese:

A Scottsdale is a type of "C" or "K" full-size pickup truck. "C" Series are 2WD, "K" are 4WD drive.

I looked up the tilt column illustration in my GM Parts Imager and I believe what you need is:

Rack, Ignition, #7827157, list price 10.56, trade 7.92

or Rack Kit #7844651, list 41.03, trade 30.77. The rack kit includes springs and other small parts that get wasted when the rack is damaged---most of this time this was due to break-in thefts. My bet is this is why GM came out with the kit.

GM plastic columns of the 80's were frequently vandalized and when you got them to repair, they were always a mess to put back together.

I have a illustration printout here of the '85 C Series (K should be the same) tilt column if you want to see it

Old 01-15-03, 07:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Joe!

I got the part this afternoon and got it all back together, while replacing some other parts with wera since I was in there anyway. I replaced the rack, the ring under the lock plate that has the horn contact, and the keyswitch/tumbler set. I got the kit with the rack, the gear that drives the rack, and spring. It ran me around 11.50. I greased the moving parts and the upper bearing, and put it all back together.

This column isn't plastic. Did they use plastic columns in trucks in the mid 80's? I don't ever remember seeing one.

I appreciate the info, and the offer to fax the exploded view. It went pretty well...especially since I still have the special tools for this procedure that I bought several years ago when I was trying to make a living at auto mechanics, lol. (Dodge and GM used the same columns for a good while).

Old 01-16-03, 03:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good deal.

Yes, the S10 used them. The full size may have been metal. Most of the GM cars went plastic in the 70's. That's when thefts of those cars became popular by breaking the column. We did countless numbers of them.

We did a '88 Ciera once that came to us with FBI stickers on it and it was all muddy. We stood there shaking our heads at this. Turns out it was used in a bank robbery and the thieves drove it through a field and bailed out when it got stuck! That thing was a mess.