1988 Ford Festiva

Old 01-16-03, 06:24 AM
scott56
Visiting Guest
1988 Ford Festiva

I have a Festiva that has a hesitation problem on accelaration. It will work fine for about the first 1/4 of the pedal and then "stumbles" and does not go faster or pick up RPM when the pedal is depressed fast. A mechanic that did some tests told me the carb needed to be rebuilt so I replaced it and the problem was not solved. So far I have: checked the timing belt, replaced the fuel filter, checked the tank screen and fuel line, checked the exhaust system for blockage, set the timing and replaced the minor tune up items, and checked the vacum advance to make sure it was working. I also put an inline gauge on the engine end of the fuel pump and it is a constant 30 lbs. The haynes manual states that this should be 5 lbs. Could this be causing the problem or do I need to look elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-03, 09:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
30 PSI would blow the carburetor needle and seat to pieces . You are using the gauge wrong or it's wiped .

The carburetor rebuild may not have been done properly. Are there any trouble codes stored in the computer?

Start with my "The Basics" post below. Don't dump a lot of time or green into one of these, they aren't worth bus fare