can broken thermostat ruin engine?

Old 01-16-03, 07:42 AM
can broken thermostat ruin engine?

hi

i am getting no heat out of my 89 cadillac deville. the blower works fine and I haven't checked the hoses yet, but I think it is the thermostat. My question is: If it takes me a couple of days to get to replacing the thermostat, will it damage the engine?

Does the thermostat have anything to do with cooling the engine or is it just for heating purposes?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-03, 09:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Affects the way the computer reads the coolant temperature, and the stat in turn affects emission control.

It's ok for a couple of days, but replace it ASAP.

Old 01-16-03, 09:33 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
Here's how it works: When the engine coolant is cold the thermostat is closed. When the coolant in the engine reaches the temperature stated on the thermostat (thermostats have different temperatures at which they open), the thermostat opens and allows the coolant to flow through the radiator to cool.
If the thermostat is stuck closed, the coolant in the engine will overheat and the engine can seize up. But you should see the red light go on or the temperature gauge rising.
If the thermostat is stuck open, then the cold coolant is going through the radiator right away. This condition won't hurt the engine, but it will take a lot longer for the coolant to warm up and getting warm air from the heater.

Old 01-16-03, 11:39 AM
it happened a couple of days ago. We were on a trip and the heater seemed to stop working. No engine light came on and the blower works.

Since, it has worked at times and not worked at times.

Does this sound like it is stuck open?

Old 01-16-03, 02:13 PM
sounds open to me

Yes, it sounds open to me you can check it by doing the following wait till engine is cool remove cap to radiator start car and look in at the fluid if open it will move you will see it circulate.With engine cold water should not move.But as Joe Cool said you need to fix it ASAP because lots of computer sensors read fluid temp and will effect driveabilty.

Old 01-17-03, 05:31 AM
Thanks everyone! As always, your help is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-17-03, 05:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No problem.