93 Grand Am

Old 01-16-03, 10:02 AM
jamal
Visiting Guest
93 Grand Am

Three problems: (1) -3 degrees this am when I drove, three hours later I start engine, turn on heat - NO HEAT! What do I do?

(2) In park, it revs up and down. Now it revs while I have foot on brake.

(3) While driving, I put on gas and it shudders till I get off the gas and put on the gas again. As soon as it gets below 2 on RPM dial, it shudders again. (It feels like I am going over frost heaves).

Help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-03, 04:45 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Issue #1: Flush the cooling system, replace the thermostat. If after this, the heater hoses to the core do not feel hot, the problem is a vent door inside the car.

Issues 2 and 3: must start with the links and posts below in my signature file. Possible bad IAC valve.

The engine size of this N body gem would be a colossal help.

Old 01-16-03, 09:01 PM
jamal
Visiting Guest
Joe - Thanks for the info on the heat - I flushed the system and replaced the thermostat - it works great!

Issues 2 & 3 - I have a '3300 V6 engine'. Took it to a garage when the revving and shuddering started about two weeks ago - they replaced the fuel filter, oil filter, changed the oil and cleaned the MAF sensor. (??????) Didn't change the performance at all.

Also, while it revs in park, the oil pressure gage goes up and down simultaneously.

Old 01-16-03, 09:05 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Still start with "The Basics" below.

Old 01-16-03, 09:45 PM
jamal
Visiting Guest
Joe - Sorry! - checked the Basics - 93 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan v6 engine. 3 months ago had sparks checked and changed, chasis lubricated, oil drained & replaced, all fluid levels okay, belts & hoses no probs. 6 months ago put on new brakes and rotors, muffler, and alternator. Have to keep this baby going, only mode of transport. Everything runs greats except for the revving and shuddering.

Old 01-17-03, 12:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Listen around under the hood for a hissing sound from a vacuum hose. It sounds like you have a vacuum leak.

Old 01-17-03, 01:08 AM
rehtaeh
Visiting Guest
sell it while you still can. had an '88 and a '92. radiator has hidden cap- only one of its awful design flaws. do yourself the favor.

Old 01-17-03, 03:47 AM
jamal
Visiting Guest
Thanks to all for great advice - Will try and check everything mentioned - Can't get rid of her - when my son graduates HS in 2 years, he wants her! Take care

Old 01-17-03, 05:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, reading "The Basics" includes looking at Autolibrary.org which probably will answer your question .

These are OK cars, just lackluster in the quality and trim department. The 3.3 is an OK engine.

Old 01-17-03, 09:53 AM
jamal
Visiting Guest
Joe - Thanks for your help - much appreciated. Take care.

Search this Thread