Same ranger, new problem...

Old 01-17-03, 09:11 AM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Angry Same ranger, new problem...

1984 Ranger, 2.8L V6 w/ac 4x4

This one is electrical. When I turn off the truck I hear a loud clicking coming from under the glove box, or in that general area. I can't figure out what component might be located under there that does this. It continues to click for about 30 seconds after I shut the truck off. Sounds like a switch clicking on and off.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-03, 09:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a relay. Check autolibrary to see what might be in that vicinity.

Old 01-17-03, 09:30 AM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
I've been checking for about an hour now, can't seem to find anything there. I've also had this problem:

After driving the vehicle and shutting it off, when turning the key I get no power whatsoever. This has happened twice now. Ive checked as many connections as I can find and all the grounds, they are ok. I regained power when I slammed the hood shut the first time, the second time I opened the hood and gave the right fender a shot, where the ECM and some other components are located, this also gave me power again. It is perplexing, there are lots of possibilities, my first instinct is the ECM, however if that doesn't engage would it cut off all power to the truck?

Ok, Ive searched autolibrary high and low, the wiring diagrams are great, but they don't give much for locations, the only way to figure it out would be to follow wires. I see you give a website for GM factory repair manuals, do they also sell repair manuals for fords, if so what what the URL again?

Last edited by 1fireman; 01-17-03 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-17-03, 05:46 PM
do you loose power to everything no head lights, does anything light up on the dash when you turn the key on?
an ecm would not cause you to lose power to everything, i would suspect a loose battery cable either at battery, starter solenoid or block, you may also see if any ground straps have been left undone that go from the engine to body.

Old 01-17-03, 08:45 PM
Any chance that your clicking could be coming from your heater core???

Old 01-18-03, 06:24 AM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
hey fireman is this the same ranger you been working on for awhile now? if it is buy you another one

Old 01-19-03, 06:36 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
yes fordman, its the same ranger, and no, Im not going to buy another one. For 500 bucks I expected there to be more problems than I've had. Most of what I've been doing is preventative, or for convinience sake.

Yeah Bejay, no power to anything. I didn't think the ECM would give me that problem, But I replaced the solenoid because the old one had significant corossion, I've checked all the grounds I know of, have cleaned and tightened them and the battery cables. It happened one time after that, and hasn't now for about a week.

Dirty dan, it is possible it is coming from the heater core, it is in that general vicinity, but what in the heater core would sound like a relay clicking on and off?

Sounds like two seperate problems now...
Like I said, its perplexing!

Old 01-20-03, 04:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check the starter solenoid and battery cables in that RH vicinity. May have a wiped or tired, old rotted cable.

Helminc.com also does the Ford OEM manuals as they do GM---check it out.

I'd find a used OEM manual for this Ranger. This is an old, tired truck and while you're learning, it's not worth the 120 bucks or so on a new manual, but if you found a used one, you'd accomplish the same thing for probably 50 bucks

(I buy my OEM manuals used in most cases).

Old 01-20-03, 08:03 AM
We had a '71 F150 that sounded just like that when it began to weep out coolant. I thought that with the onset of wnter you might have just started noticing it when using the heater. Just something out of the obvious to consider...

Old 01-20-03, 12:57 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
I replaced the solenoid after the first time this happened because it had significant corrosion. One of the battery cables is new, and I looked at the other one today, found a small opening in the insulation, it looks like it was rubbing on a belt almost. I will be replacing that one ASAP.

This truck really isn't that tired, The Odometer in the truck said there was only 115K on it, who knows if that is original or not, what worries me is that it sat for three years up until a couple months before I bought it. The only reason the guy sold it is because he couldn't figure out how to fix the heater. Im guessing about every seal in it is going to go within the year, sitting like that is hard on em. Other than that it runs great and has plenty of power.

Thanks for the thought dan, I think I will pull the dash apart and check out that heater core for corrosion and whatnot.

I am starting to notice that clicking when I am driving now, when it clicks it feels like a significant load was just put on the engine, then it will click again and then it cruises along fine

Old 01-21-03, 10:51 AM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Well no more clicking sound, but it wasn't what any of us thought. While I was fiddling around under the hood just checking things out and following wires to see where they went I found eight wires with nearly no insulation on them for about a six inch stretch. It looked like the insulation just got old and crumbled off. All the wires were laying atop each other, which obviously meant they were shorting each other. I taped up all of them for a temporary fix until either I can find new wiring harnesses (yeah right), or think of something else. That got rid of the clicking sound and the load on the engine when it clicked. The wires were to some sensors, one was the Air charge temperature sensor (I think) in the air filter, and Im not sure what the other two are for. One is in front of the carburator mounted to the intake manifold, and the other was mounted to the valve cover.

Now I just need to replace that cable and hopefully I will be set for a month or two....

Old 01-21-03, 10:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Go to a junkyard, find a similar year Ranger and compare where it all goes and do the same on yours.

Some fool in the past probably bypassed it all because they don't know any better.

Old 01-22-03, 02:10 AM
Go a month or two without working on a Ford????
No Way!!!!

Old 01-22-03, 03:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I thought it stood for Fix or Repair Daily.

Old 01-22-03, 06:40 AM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
Don't see many '84 S-10s on the road anymore, and definately not any dakotas!!

Old 01-22-03, 09:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Well, there was no Dakota model made in 1984 .

Ford's carburetion, ignition system and powertrains have always been second rate to GM's. GM powertrain parts are used in EVERYTHING including Jaguars, Bentley models and Rolls Royce models.

Paying what you paid for the vehicle was a fair price, because they don't fetch much. It's old, carbureted and in need of a lot of TLC.

Not faulting your vehicle or your choice, it's just that it is what it is--it works for you, and that's what matters.

Old 01-22-03, 01:14 PM
I thought Ford name had something to do with Old Rebuilt Dodges (LOL)
My brother is still using an old Ford truck that my dad owned. I would guess he's pushing 400,000 by now. It can sit up for weeks, cranks right up and takes him where ever he needs to go.
Hauls or pulls what ever he can throw at it. When my dad died in '90, I drove it home from my dad's house (< 3 miles) it overheated before I got it home. It set in my back yard for 1 week. I went to move it and the front brakes had locked up. I had to drag it out with my trusty old '66 chevy. I called my brother to come get the POS, and like I said, he uses it regularly with no problems. I see alot of people driving the old fords every day. I can't seem to back one down the driveway without it breaking down on me!!!

Old 01-22-03, 07:58 PM
1fireman
Visiting Guest
LOL Now that is funny dan!!

Actually I am still hearing that sound under the dash, and I stuck my head under there as soon as I shut off the truck, it is coming from the heater core, more like expanding and contracting metal. I think I am going to throw (like its easy...) a new heater core in there. Looking at the hoses going into it there is a bit of corossion on the visible metal there, hopefully it isn't too expensive....

Yes, I would take any vehicle with a GM 350 in it, it is arguably the best engine ever made, and GM trannies are great, till something goes wrong. If something major goes wrong you ain't moving, with a ford tranny you can limp it along till ya get home. Anyway, that is a debate that will go on forever, and your right, I got what i paid for. I like to tinker with things, and I have a backup vehicle if something big goes wrong, so i don't mind if it does. I have already saved about 400 bucks in insurance, so its almost paid for itself.

Old 01-22-03, 09:35 PM
ZepX2
Visiting Guest
Hey guys, I stumbled on this site looking for greenhouse info, it's prety cool so far.I read this post and had to reply.
fireman; goto www.therangerstation.com
You can find the answer to ANY ranger questions you mite have.I myself have a '96 Ranger, but from what i remember a heater core on your vintage is not very hard at all to swap out. Any good auto parts store should have a manual for your truck, it's an invaluable tool to anyone who works on there own rig.
Joe_F; Ford ownes Jaguar,you won't find any shevvie there,LOL
P.S. thats "First On Race Day" baby!