starter's - crome or torque- which is better

Old 01-17-03, 09:51 AM
SaDow
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up starter's - crome or torque- which is better

I am buying a new starter for my iroc-z ,350 tpi v-8 . I really want to get the crome one from summit , but PAW has a high torque one that cheaper. how important is torque any way . should I get the high torque and just polish it by hand? let me know what you think

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-03, 11:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
An OEM Delco rebuilt starter is fine in most cases. Properly shield it from the exhaust.

Old 01-17-03, 08:34 PM
Like we used to say in High School...
If it ain't fast, chrome it!

You got many people climbing under that 350 to look at your starter??? If it's a show car chrome is the way to go. It's going to turn purple first time it hits a water puddle hot.
Unless you've really, I mean really, beefed up your engine internals you don't need high torque, do what Joe said and go back with the Delco. Save your $$$ for chrome someone can actually see.

Old 01-20-03, 06:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Well put Dan .

I can tell you there are cars out there that will eat other cars alive and are using an OEM stock starter.

I can't see that your engine is souped up enough to need that. Either that, or you have a heat shield missing or exhaust right against a starter which would give you a hot crank problem.

Save your money.