Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

starter's - crome or torque- which is better

Visiting Guest

01-17-03, 09:51 AM   #1  
SaDow
starter's - crome or torque- which is better

I am buying a new starter for my iroc-z ,350 tpi v-8 . I really want to get the crome one from summit , but PAW has a high torque one that cheaper. how important is torque any way . should I get the high torque and just polish it by hand? let me know what you think

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-17-03, 11:29 AM   #2  
Joe_F
An OEM Delco rebuilt starter is fine in most cases. Properly shield it from the exhaust.

LA

01-17-03, 08:34 PM   #3  
Like we used to say in High School...
If it ain't fast, chrome it!

You got many people climbing under that 350 to look at your starter??? If it's a show car chrome is the way to go. It's going to turn purple first time it hits a water puddle hot.
Unless you've really, I mean really, beefed up your engine internals you don't need high torque, do what Joe said and go back with the Delco. Save your $$$ for chrome someone can actually see.

Visiting Guest

01-20-03, 06:05 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Well put Dan .

I can tell you there are cars out there that will eat other cars alive and are using an OEM stock starter.

I can't see that your engine is souped up enough to need that. Either that, or you have a heat shield missing or exhaust right against a starter which would give you a hot crank problem.

Save your money.

Search this Thread