Timing check

Old 01-19-03, 04:51 AM
crosswind
Visiting Guest
Timing check

1993 Ford F150, 5.0L, V8, 187,000 miles. To check the timing, I know that you need to hook up the timing light, and point it at the front of the engine with the engine running to see if the marks are lined up correctly. I know where the marks are, but there is obviosly no way to see them without dismantling several other parts on the engine. This is a simple task, i've just never done it before............?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-03, 08:47 AM
it is easier to see the mark on the balancer if you mark it with a bright marker on the 10 btdc line, you shouldnt have to dismantle anything, but you will have to disconnect the spout connector that is located near the ignition module either on the distributer or drivers side fender.

Old 01-19-03, 11:15 AM
crosswind
Visiting Guest
timing check

The view i have of the balancer is under a coolant hose beside the water pump, to the right of the alternator and tensioner pully, through the serpentine belt and just a little bit crowded. at best, i can only see a small portion, upper left, of the entire balancer wheel. there is a small metal tab that sticks out from the engine, out bver the edge of the balancer, looks like a great place to check the marks for timing. Is that where you look for the marks to be?

Old 01-19-03, 12:44 PM
that is the place it should line up with the timing indicater tab that sticks out, you can easily mark the balancer from underneath.

Old 01-20-03, 02:59 AM
crosswind
Visiting Guest
thankyou...........

Old 01-20-03, 04:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with BeJay.