4X4 groans when I turn

Old 01-19-03, 04:20 PM
4X4 groans when I turn

I am new to owning a 4X4. I have a 1999 Z-71, 53,000 ,miles. When I have it in 4X4 it groans, jerks, and is generally hard to turn when I try and turn. Is this normal? I tried it out on pavement, could this be the problem?

Thanks,
John

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-03, 04:38 PM
You do not want to be in 4wheel drive on dry pavement, the wheels need to be able to slip, or you will get what is called torque windup, you can also damage your system if done excessively.
The front wheels need to be able to slip some so that it won't bind the system. Off road in the dirt or sand or on snowy roads the wheels can slip enough to get rid of this without you noticing. Yes it will be harder to turn because of the power going to the front wheels in 4x4 mode.

Old 01-19-03, 06:30 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
If you have insta-trac (2hi, 4hi, 4lo), you'll damage u-joints at the very least driving around on dry pavement.

If you have auto-trac (2h1, auto4wd, 4i, 4lo), you can drive on dry pavement in the auto4wd setting.

Read your owners manual, if you don't have one, order it from the dealer.

Old 01-20-03, 05:00 AM
I figured that dry pavement wasn't the place to try it. I just wanted to make sure that it all worked. Then I heard the noises.

OUT TO FIND SOME MUD!

Thanks,
John

Search this Thread