Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

91 Maxima heater intermittent

Visiting Guest

01-20-03, 11:50 AM   #1  
we3cats
91 Maxima heater intermittent

Heater intermittently goes warm/cold (random but like 2 min intervals w/max heat setting). Radiator has not been flushed at least 5 yrs. and first time driving it in winter in 5 years. Radiator fluid full w/ adequate antifreeze. Sometimes changing airflow direction seems(?) to change it to warm.
Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-20-03, 12:49 PM   #2  
fordman30
since it has been 5 years i would flush the crap out of it ..........and then replaced the t-stat. with a 50-50 mix on the anti-freeze

Visiting Guest

01-20-03, 12:50 PM   #3  
fordman30
since it has been 5 years i would flush the crap out of it ..........and then replaced the t-stat. with a 50-50 mix on the anti-freeze

Visiting Guest

01-20-03, 02:17 PM   #4  
Joe_F
At minimum a coolant flush and a new thermostat....see where that nets you.

Beyond that, 5 years is way too long on a coolant change and you may have wasted other parts of the cooling system by waiting so long.

Visiting Guest

02-27-03, 10:29 AM   #5  
we3cats
Follow-up: I found I had lost radiator fluid with a pinhole in the upper radiator hose. I replaced the hose and filled the system and have had steady heat since. I'm not sure if I assumed it was full because of having checked this in Nov or if the reservoir tank still had antifreeze in it.

Search this Thread