91 Maxima starter grinds occasionally

Old 01-20-03, 11:56 AM
we3cats
Visiting Guest
91 Maxima starter grinds occasionally

115K mi and recently had new clutch (w/ flywheel turned).
Shortly afterwards, starting the car sometimes has the starter not engaging smoothly (ie. gnashing sound). Re-attempts often work smoothly.
Question: Could this be clutch installation related? (in which case, I'd try to have the installer fix).
Or is it just a worn-out starter: can the starter be easily repaired or replaced?)

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-03, 12:45 PM
fordman30
Visiting Guest
buy a new starter and not a auto zone or pep boys and put it on .sounds like the appendixs is going or gone bad .maybe even brushens

Old 01-20-03, 02:22 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have the installer of the clutch remove the starter and inspect the flywheel and starter for proper meshing and alignment. It could be loose or not on there right.

Might have flywheel ring gear teeth problems or a wiped out starter. If it is wiped, go with a Nissan remanufactured rebuilt unit on this one.

Nissan uses gear-reduction type starters on most models which are much more expensive than most and for no good reason. LOL.

Old 02-27-03, 11:14 AM
we3cats
Visiting Guest
followup: Starter grind got worse. Took car to clutch repair place to check for proper re-installation and to get the new clutch replaced since mechanic said the noisy throw-out bearing justified replacement under warrantee.
After a week, got a call to pick up car. I was told noise would go away so no new clutch was put in and a new life-time warranteed starter ($290 + labor/tax) had been installed.
I hadn't authorized any repair of this and we agreed that I should have been allowed to check alternatives. I met some reluctance to get quotes over the phone since various prices exist for different warranteed new/rebuilt starters) but did get the MSRP (241) from a parts store.
Unhappy w/clutch and starter, I called to negotiate a cutrate price on starter. Not satisfied w/ bottom line I bought a used 93' starter at a junkyard ($35) (extra 10$ would give a 'lifetime warrantee') and a friend helped me install it. Returned the new one. Starts fine...

Old 02-27-03, 01:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
As noted, some reman starters are poor quality. Use only an OEM Nissan rebuilt as it will have all the fixes and updates to it in the future.

Search this Thread