How to replace catalytic converter and O2 sensor on 88 Camry????

Old 01-20-03, 01:31 PM
dave1221
Visiting Guest
Question How to replace catalytic converter and O2 sensor on 88 Camry????

Hello,
I took my car(88Camry4cyl)this weekend for emissions test and it failed. the shop told me the cause was a catalytic converter and oxygen sensor, and the shop gave me an estimate of $250.00 dollars. im thinking of fixing this myself, but can someone tell me where these parts are located on the car. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-03, 02:12 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
250 bucks for a cat installed is a great price. You will spend more in that in time and frustration without air tools and a lift cursing and doing it on your own.

However, something ruined the converter, so it would help to know what the actual readings are. The O2 sensor should be changed as a matter of course, not when it fails.

Old 01-20-03, 02:15 PM
were they are

Your O2 sensor is located in the exhaust pipe very close to the exhaust manifold it should be close to the firewall it has one wire going to it. It looks kind of like a spark plug.
The cat looks like a muffler but is before the muffler. I don't think you can buy one of these. maybe Joe knows. And even if you did you would have to have some welding skills. I would go to a good muffler shop and have them install it.(they can get them).
Also since it is emissions equipment it might be under warranty.
Emissions stuff has its own warranty.

Old 01-20-03, 02:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The original is probably part of the flex pipe, but aftermarket companies have come up with ways to install replacements in place of the originals.

As for warranty, it was 5 years/50,000 miles on this one by the federal government.

Old 01-21-03, 09:50 AM
Its Bolted to the exhaust manifold( under the heat shield) and the O2 sensor is in the manifold above the cat.

Larry