Car Alarm

Old 01-20-03, 09:42 PM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
Car Alarm

HI, I'm putting in a Car alarm And i have All done but the Power door locks For the keyless entry, only problem is I found the Wires for the locks but the Wires They gave me Are not long enough to Reach the Doors Lock and Unlock Wires, What do i do?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-03, 03:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Add on your own wiring. Choose wiring to extend their wiring that is the same gauge as what they gave you.

Old 01-21-03, 02:51 PM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
Rely on Relay?

I Extended The Wires with some of my own And hooked them up, but now the Doors lock and unlock Uncontrollably. Why is it doing that?

Old 01-21-03, 03:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You may have hooked it up incorrectly. What wiring diagram did you use?

Old 01-21-03, 04:27 PM
Guitarman500
Visiting Guest
I didnt have a wiring diagram for the Door locks, I just hooked the wires directly to the Lock and unlock wires.

Old 01-22-03, 03:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ummmm, that won't work. You need a wiring diagram to hook it up right.

If autolibrary.org doesn't have anything, time to up the ante for a $25.00 Alldata.com subscription, giving you the diagrams you need.

Ya wouldn't go to a doctor without a medical book on the shelf---same thing here .

Old 01-22-03, 12:09 PM
Like Joe said you will need a wiring diagram. Just hooking up to the wires is asking to burn something up. The door lock wiring varies from makes and models and years. Some use low - negtive or low + postive voltage to trip relays. Some use reverse polarity (the car switch handle the load no relays). And few ford\mazdas and other use a single wire 12 volts lock & 6 volts unlock. When I got out of doing custom alarms\keyless entry system, some manufacture where starting to use computers to control the doorlocks. This was about 6 years ago. At the very least you should be using a digital volt meter, justing hooking up and or using a light probe can do alot of damage (set off air bags,fry ECM, burnout diodes, list go and go). Just curious, what year and kind of car are we talking about?

Good Luck