Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

early fuel pump replacement??

Visiting Guest

01-21-03, 10:05 PM   #1  
lakes
early fuel pump replacement??

2000 grand am 2.4l 4cyl 52,000 miles. Engine quits after about 10-20 minutes of driving. let it sit for about 10-15 min and it starts back up and drives fine, but then quits again. I Think it's a bad electric fuel pump but my wallet is hoping for a much more inexpensive problem. Any ideas? Clogged Fuel filter?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-22-03, 03:47 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Start with the links and posts in my signature file below.

Visiting Guest

01-22-03, 07:46 PM   #3  
lakes
Here's some thing interesting-I filled the tank-car ran fine-got back to a 1/2 of a tank-the car died again. Literally acts like it is out of fuel. Is this a judgement call to replace the pump? Works great above a half of a tank. But then again kind of a pain to keep filling it all of the time. Any suggestions? Defeats the purpose of having 15 gallons of fuel-you can only use 7 before you have to fill it again.

01-23-03, 01:52 AM   #4  
Change the fuel filter and check your fuel pressure both when it runs good and when it wont start and compare the figures. If you replace the fuel pump use only an AC Delco pump...some of the other aftermarket pumps are garbage.

Visiting Guest

01-23-03, 03:31 AM   #5  
Joe_F
I agree with Stevo.

TX

01-23-03, 02:02 PM   #6  
my idea

I would lean to a vent problem it sounds like the fuel goes out but no air can come in to replace it.Have you replaced the fuel cap yet?

Visiting Guest

01-23-03, 03:53 PM   #7  
lakes
not yet, but it will be one that I do try-that $350 pump is gonna hurt if nothing else works-thanks to all for the help.

lakes

01-24-03, 07:14 PM   #8  
Here's something that might be of interest to you. This filter kit is only $15 at www.gmpartsdirect.com. Also try them if you need a fuel pump module, they are alot cheaper than your local dealer. To install the filter you will have to pull the tank anyway. Good luck.

2000 Pontiac Grand AM L4-144 2.4L DOHC VIN T SFI

Top - Vehicle
Powertrain Management
. Fuel Delivery and Air Induction
. . Technical Service Bulletins
. . . All Technical Service Bulletins
. . . . Fuel Pump Module - Engine Hesitation, Stalls/No Start

Fuel Pump Module - Engine Hesitation, Stalls/No Start

File In Section: 06 - Engine/Propulsion System

Bulletin No.: 00-06-04-044

Date: October, 2000

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Engine Hesitates, Stalls and/or Will Not Start
(Replace Modular Fuel Sender Strainer)

Models:
2000 Chevrolet Cavalier, Malibu
2000 Oldsmobile Alero
2000 Pontiac Grand Am, Sunfire

Condition
Some customers may comment that the vehicle engine hesitates, stalls and/or will not start.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a restricted or plugged in-tank modular fuel sender strainer.

Correction
Replace the existing modular fuel sender strainer with a new strainer, P/N 88891094. To insure correct installation, follow the instruction sheet contained in the service kit. Also, refer to the service procedure found in the Engine Controls sub-section of the Service Manual.

Parts Information
Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

Visiting Guest

01-25-03, 02:55 AM   #9  
lakes
thank you

Search this Thread