yup...another heating problem

Old 01-22-03, 01:23 PM
bryankknight
Visiting Guest
yup...another heating problem

Back In Octoberish I could warm up my car drive 15 minutes to work and the car would be blowing its normal scorchin heat.

today I get lukewarm heat after letting the car idle for 20 minutes..drive to work and still have a pretty cold car when I got there.....
This is just an example that I am using. There is something not right...
Air blows out the vent that is warm...not cold...but not like it used to be by far.
I have read numerous posts and I am thinking that it is the core everyone is talking about...Should I try changing this first and see if that changes anything? Im not a mechanic but can at least change my own oil....so is this something i can do alone...I saw
how to in that guys maunal lookup thinggy and it looks pretty simple....
Is there anything else that I should check aside from this and the hoses being hot test.? Also I had heard that if you are lacking heat it means that the transmission could be getting old ( ready to go) ...is this myth true?

1992 Chevy Lumina 4dr/86,000miles/6cyl

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-03, 03:13 PM
what does the temp gauge read? if the temp is good, the vents in the air box may not be moving enough to let the heat through. if the temp gauge is low, the thermostat may be stuck in the open position.

Old 01-22-03, 03:18 PM
bryankknight
Visiting Guest
where can i find the temp gague? sorry

Old 01-22-03, 03:28 PM
temp guage

The temp guage is the one on your instrumet cluster maybe next to the fuel guage.

Old 01-22-03, 03:57 PM
If you don't have a temperature gauge in your dash, you have a warning light that will come on if it gets too hot. If you don't have a gauge, let the engine cool completely. Start the car and keep feeling the upper radiator hose every 30 seconds. The hose should stay cold as the engine warms up and then turn hot quickly. If the temp comes up slow instead of quick, then the thermostat is probably stuck open.

Old 01-22-03, 05:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Flush the cooling system and replace the stat. Should be good to go.

Old 01-22-03, 05:33 PM
bryankknight
Visiting Guest
so if the thermostat is stuck open .....can it be as easy as "unstucking" it......or would this need replacement?

As far as the flush the coolant...this has been flushed and filled
a few months ago.....need it still be done?

thanks for all your help everyone

Old 01-22-03, 05:54 PM
bryankknight
Visiting Guest
so i checked the hose and yes it appears to warm up slowly.......what would you all suggest?

Old 01-22-03, 05:59 PM
Do as Joe F said, flush the system and replace the thermostat. You cannot repair a thermostat.

Old 01-22-03, 06:07 PM
bryankknight
Visiting Guest
kewl....his description on his site looks fairly easy too.....ill try that....thanks

Old 01-22-03, 06:11 PM
bryankknight
Visiting Guest
I was just looking online for pricing of them and came across several different temps you can get ...what is the normal one
to purchase?

Select Parts
169 DEGREE AND LESSTHERMOSTAT,
170 TO 179 DEGREETHERMOSTAT,
180 TO 189 DEGREETHERMOSTAT,
190 TO 199 DEGREETHERMOSTAT, 200 DEGREE AND ABOVE

Old 01-22-03, 06:18 PM
your parts house should list a stock replacement part. a different one may mess with the computer and how the engine preforms.

Old 01-23-03, 03:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Correct. Go to the parts store and tell them, "I want the OEM temperature replacement. That is, the same temperature as the original".

Stant and other catalogs have a listing for the OEM temperature one and other temps available too. Go with the OEM one.