1992 Camry Reverse Lights Don't Work

Old 01-22-03, 10:41 AM
gwashawaii
Visiting Guest
Question 1992 Camry Reverse Lights Don't Work

1992 Toyota Camry 4 door with a 2.4 engine. Both reverse lights don't work. Changed both bulbs and tried looking for the fuse. Bulbs still don't work and couldn't find the fuse. Called dealer and was told that it may be the "reverse switch." What and where is this switch? Is it something I can do myself with ease?

Old 01-22-03, 10:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Neutral safety/backup light switch. On top of the tranny in most cases.

Check autolibrary.org as shown below in my signature file.

92 Camry models were 2.2 liter and 3.0, not 2.4L.

Old 01-22-03, 11:02 AM
gwashawaii
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank You!

Thanks Joe! That was the fastest reply I've ever received for a question. I went to the site you recommended, but I'm not familiar at all with "auto repair vocab." My car is an automatic, so should I be looking at the "automatic transaxle" or the "manual transaxle"? Or does it matter when it comes to the location of the "backup switch"?

Old 01-22-03, 12:27 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"automatic transaxle" and then select the "Neutral Safety Switch"

Old 01-22-03, 12:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Stevo.

The backup light switch function is integrated into the neutral safety switch unit. This switch prevents you from being able to start the vehicle in gear. (safety feature).

Old 01-22-03, 05:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The wires are possibly broken by the left trunk hindge where they exit the harness . It's the red w/black stripe...common... NNS very rare

The fuse is called gage and it's behind coin box leftside of dash. If it were bad windows, gages and most any thing controlled by key (low power) would be affected.

Larry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: