Maxima timing belt

Old 01-23-03, 12:19 PM
PPakrs1
Visiting Guest
Maxima timing belt

1991 Nissan MaximaSE; V-6, 3.0 liter w/ 175K miles.

The owners manual states that the timing belt must be replaced every 90K miles. I had it replaced at 92K. Now that the car is approaching the 180K mark, do I need to spend the $$ on doing it again or should I just drive it until it breaks?

I have maintained this car over the years (new altinator, brakes,exhaust, water pump, transaxle shafts, fluid changes on everything, battery, plugs, wires and so on) and recently bought Momma a new car (2003 Mazda6s). Since the car doesnt have much value left, I decided not to trade it in. Instead, my father-in-law needs a car and this is what he's getting. The maxima runs great and I was wondering if I should replace the timing belt a second time before it goes to the in-laws... I had the dealer do the first belt, since it looked like a pretty big job

Thanks in advance,
Dean

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-03, 12:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Replace the belt. If it breaks it could cause engine damage (if the vehicle has an interference engine..check Gates Rubber's website to be sure) and the car would be junk at that point. If nothing else, the inconvience of getting stuck is not worth it.

Old 01-23-03, 06:09 PM
I agree..Change the belt. Maxima's can last several 100k miles, if taken car of...