geo knock

Old 01-23-03, 02:21 PM
azeasy1
Visiting Guest
geo knock

hey hey ,k ,ive got a 96 geo-4 cyl-70,000 miles--the other day for the heck of it i put half a bottle of fuel treatment in-within 1 day a knock started i changed oil-plugs-oil filter-of course the knock didnt stop--people have told me its worn cam-knock sensor ect.ect--i took off valve cover and the knock is from down below...any thoughts-ideas of what it is and what i should do???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-03, 02:23 PM
azeasy1
Visiting Guest
bye the way theres no power loss-or over heating

Old 01-23-03, 04:28 PM
kevin18
Visiting Guest
Hey if it is not your lifters knocking must be in the bottom end. That would be from wear in your main bearings but you would think it would last longer than 70k!?!?!? My tracker has 160k and she runs like a new one but i ran it out of gas and I can't figure out what is wrong with it if ya know i wish you could tell me but good luck on yours and have you ran it low on oil? O yeah my girlfriends dad said that fuel treatment hurts them more than it helps em I would run some good gas through it to clean the injectors.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-24-03 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-23-03, 05:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Rent an oil pressure gauge from Autozone and measure the oil pressure. Match it to what's in autolibrary.org below.

If it passes the oil pressure check, the problem might be spark knock or something else. If it fails the check, you have internal engine problems.

Frankly, a Geo like this is a throwaway car and not worth the real effort involved to rebuild it. If the engine is toast, pitch the shoe for something more reliable.

Old 01-23-03, 07:33 PM
azeasy1
Visiting Guest
thanks i will gol get oil pressure gauge ,,i have 1 more thing here 5 people told me they think its a worn spot oncam could this be it?

Old 01-24-03, 08:00 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

Do an oil pressure check first and tell us what you find. If oil pressure problems are shown, it's likely in the lower end.