Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

'94 Crown Vic Interceptor loose steering

Visiting Guest

01-24-03, 09:43 AM   #1  
JoeNik...
'94 Crown Vic Interceptor loose steering

My interceptor was recently checked for an alignment and was told all components were tight and wheels were in alignment. The steering wheel has way too much play and there is not much control at highway speeds (easy to over compensate).

Friends of mine (and the mechanic) familiar with crown vic's say they believe there is a way to tighten the steering box (dealer type tool job). A local dealer said the only way to fix it was to rebuild it ($400+) and said he was unfamiliar with "tightening".

Any suggestions?

Joe
Harrison, OH

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-24-03, 01:06 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Probably the worm screw is what he means. No, I would not tighten it. Pitch the box for a rebuilt one. You can get them aftermarket at any parts store.

01-24-03, 04:17 PM   #3  
Try taking a look at this link for adjustment sequence. This is not something for the non-experienced to work with and if not done correctly can cause your steering to bind up.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton...60CH08_29.HTML

If you do decide to replace the steering gear/box be sure and get the correct one as the police options usually have a different one that assures a "firm feel" of the road.

Search this Thread