what does pontiac mean?

Old 01-31-03, 09:56 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
In as much as the subject came up,
What does GTO stand for?
The winner gets to change the oil in my two Pontiac's for a year..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-03, 10:27 AM
Gran Turismo Omologato

Old 01-31-03, 01:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Also a Ferrari shares that same name too. It was in the DeLorean era that this was thought up.

Old 01-31-03, 02:55 PM
Ferrari had the name first, right? When Ferrari quit producing the 250 GTO, Pontiac borrowed the 'GTO'.

Omologato, that's a strange word! I don't remember what it translates to, but basically gto means that it is approved for certain types of racing.

Am I remembering all this right? Please let me know if I'm wrong.

Kay

Old 01-31-03, 04:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I believe it means "Indy 500" in Italian--or the equivalent race in Europe.

Either way, it was one BLISTERINGLY fast Pontiac throughout its life. It is one of the most sought after muscle cars out there. A true chief, like many others that followed it in the Pontiac line and even those that came before it

Old 01-31-03, 05:59 PM
Great Accredited Tourism is the translation from Italian. Now I know also. Have wondered for many years.

Old 02-02-03, 04:47 AM
als206
Visiting Guest
has anyone ever heard of a pontiac catalina 2+2 made in the mid 60's not many were made?

Old 02-02-03, 05:42 AM
als206
Visiting Guest
back in the day, when I was 15 years old my uncle Chuck owned a 68 goat and I found it a great joy to work on this pistine automobile. And one day being able to drive it. The car sat in an old farmers feild for 13 years and had 25,000 original miles on the engine. It was owened by the farmers son, who had gone off to war (Viet Nam) and sadly never returned. But my uncle talked to farmers wife after the passing of her husband. and purchased the car for $300.00 what a sweet deal. But any ways I helped him work on it day and night. The engine was seized up from sitting so long. We poured kerosine in the block and let it sit for two weeks, in the mean time we started to restore the body and paint, after two weeks of soaking the engine, it broke loose the rust that had formed we then drained the oil and kerosine and did it again with straight kerosine keeping the engine turning with a socket and beaker bar on the harmonic balancer with plugs out after about 3 times of draining and refilling the kerosine started to come clean. In the mean time the kerosine also helped all of the old gaskets take form again, we then procceded to add oil to the engine and put gas in the carb with all new plugs and wires with new cap points and condenser, fully charged battery,

and turned the engine over twice and started it it ran for about 30 seconds with all kinds of white and blueish smoke. we added more gas and tried it again, it started again and smoked somemore but kept on chugging we added more gas to the carb and it just kept running, the smoke cleared after about 10 min
and the engine purred like a kitten. That just goes to show you what kind of product PONTIAC put out in the late 60's , an automoble that sat that long with no care started after a good cleaning. By the way, the GTO had 400 big block with 4bbl carb ram air, and a three speed tranny I think it was a power glide not sure. I got the chance to drive the car a short time later after getting my permit, first time in a standard, went to let the clutch out and killed the engine,lol restarted the engine and my uncle said, you got to give it more gas, big mistake in saying that, so I did, I gave it more gas, more than I should have, and let the clutch out
tearing down the road loosing about 10,000 miles of tread behind me. That was great, the most awesome feeling I have ever had next to sex of course. Ever sence that day I've had a need for speed and one day, may have the privilage of owning a vehicle such as that, it's been twenty yaers since, but that GTO is always in my heart. My uncle crashed the car a few years later after a union meeting and totaled it and never got around to fixing it up again. Just a little story I thought I'd share seeing that you were talking Pontiacs.

Old 02-02-03, 10:06 AM
Dan Meyer
Visiting Guest
Kaybyrd,
Congratulations, you got the correct answer to the meaning of GTO.

I would like to correct Fewalt:

Pontiac is not a tribe. The name Pontiac came from Chief Pontiac who was the chief of the Ottawa tribe.

The city of Pontiac , Michigan was named after this chief. The Pontiac automobile was first manufactured in Pontiac, Michigan and that's where it got its name.

Old 02-02-03, 03:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Al:

There is no "big block" Pontiac. They are all of the same genre from the 265 vin S "LS5" 2 barrel used in 1980 and 1981 to the 455 vin W at the peak of big Pontiac engines. It would have probably had a TH400 if it were a three speed. Powerglides were two speeds.

Yes, that is the kind of car Pontiac made through 1981 . Pontiac V8s are great engines and the 400 has loads of torque and considering the car you drove probably had bias ply tires, sure it would shred those for blocks.

I drove a similar 1969 GTO that belonged to the original owner. His wife told us to "find everything wrong with it so I can force him to sell it". It did need a lot of work, but I did take it out for a spin, as the owner suggested. I took the car to a desolate service road and just stood on the throttle. It clouded probably a quarter mile with smoke and when the car hooked up it shot like a rocket. It chirped rubber in every gear---it was a beast to say the least. It was unreal! LOL

The lady sold the car for $1500 before I could get to it. That was about 1990 or so!

Dan is right. My 1979 400 engine was made in Pontiac, MI

Old 02-02-03, 04:59 PM
Total production, Catalina 2+2: 11,521
www.pontiacserver.com/mt22_1.html

Then there was my sisters 69 Bonneville 428ci...what a screamer for such a large car and quite a change from her little Tempest that she traded in. Dad had a 64 Catalina 389ci and before that a 59. As I recall my uncle had a Tempest that had the shifter on the dashboard. Aaaaah those were the days!

Old 02-02-03, 06:03 PM
Yahoo! I won. However, I would like to pass on the 'prize'! Have two of my own to change the oil in every year! not once a year, but all year long for both...guess you probably knew that but I'm tired, and confused myself there for a second. LOL.

Kay

Old 02-03-03, 04:12 AM
als206
Visiting Guest
My dad owend a pontiac catalina w/a 409 ( too young to remember could of been a different engine ) I think it was a mid 60's
65 or 66 convertible, but any ways he was a logger and used to drive it in the woods everyday. He told me that the motor was so strong that his boss bought the car from him and put the motor in his log truck because of the power it provided, Hmm, um Pontiac building log trucks what a thought, probably be a good idea yah think?

Old 02-03-03, 04:13 AM
als206
Visiting Guest
Oh, the memories,LOL

Old 02-03-03, 04:17 AM
Group Moderator
Always thought GTO was "Gas, Tires, and Oil".

Or Grand Touring Options.

Old 02-03-03, 05:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Al:

If you had a 409 in your Pontiac, you had a Canadian Pontiac. 409 is a Chevy engine and yes they put them in Pontiacs in Canada. My friend had a chance to buy a 64 Parisienne convertible and in the time it took to call me to ask me what it was, the 409 equipped beauty sold from out under him .

TowGuy: You're right, that's all it takes to keep an old Pontiac going strong for many years .

Old 02-03-03, 06:59 PM
als206
Visiting Guest
Back in 1990 I found a 1965 Pontiac Catalina 2+2 W/421 HO
It had 3, 2 bbl carbs. The car had been abandoned, and a friend and I decided to check it out through a dealer in the state we found it in, the car salesmen said there were only 4,500 or so made with this particular engine set up, and with out even looking at the car, he wanted to purchase it. He said he would give us $1200.00 for the car. We didn't even own the car, and this guy wanted to buy it. We never did go back and check into the ownership of the vehicle. Kinda wish I did. But, now I'm a little older and have a greater appreciation for such things. So, if I find another automobile such as the catalina I won't just pass it by. As a matter of fact, I may just take a road trip, just to see if it's still there. I may get lucky and find it where I left it. But, thats just the problem, I can't remember where exactly it was, could drive for years to no avail, Anyone wanna go with? Hmmm, I wonder what that car is worth anyways. Is it worth the trip or not? $1200.00 probably not, $12,000.00 probably yes. Oh, by the way the car sits where there is no snow, the sun is hot but, not hot enough to bake it. The name of the state is ?????, I can't tell you because it's my dream and I don't realy wanna share. Sorry to seem so selfish, but you find something you like and you don't want to give it up, for nothing, besides if I told you where it was, it wouldn't be there any longer. Someone would find it and buy it off from under me, if that hasn't happened already. You guys probably think this guy talks alot of crap (meaning me) but all my stories are true. And yes, I type alot of words, taking up valuable space and boring you to death. But, I could be doing some thing alot worse, like hurting people (physically), But I'm to old for that. well I'll stop writting for now, read yah tomorrow.
Al