what does pontiac mean?

Old 01-24-03, 07:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up what does pontiac mean?

Pontiac means great cars. I agree with the original Joe_F on that one.

But, I'm Kevin and I dream of owning Pontiac one day.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-26-03 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-03, 08:36 PM
If you find an antique Pontiac, you'll see an Native American Indian on it somewhere.
Pontiac was a tribe.

Old 01-25-03, 11:05 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
fewalt...

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-27-03 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-27-03, 05:44 AM
Fewalt,

I never knew why companies called their cars or their companies by a specific name. That is neat about the Pontiac!

I read something interesting the other day, it was published back in the 90's, about the NOVA. They couldn't understand why it didn't sell very well in the hispanic communities. After spending millions on advertising campaigns, they discovered that "no va", means "no go" in Spanish. Isn't that interesting. Even though it is one word, and does not mean that, they would say it (Nova) on the radio or television ad the community would ask "why would I want to purchase something that is even advertised as something that doesn't run. Guess it pays to check into what you name something.

Does anyone know where Nova came from? Is it referring to a nova in space?

Kay

Old 01-27-03, 06:08 AM
Hi Kay,

"Does anyone know where Nova came from? Is it referring to a nova in space?"

I think you got it!!

And I've got a '73 Hatchback sitting out back. Maybe I'll get it running again this spring?

fred

Old 01-27-03, 06:19 AM
I like the Novas. I think they're cool looking cars. Never heard of anyone complaining about them.

I'm not up to date on the newer line of cars, but didn't they bring the Nova back?

Kay

Old 01-27-03, 07:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The Nova came back in the 1980's as a rebadged Corolla. It was made in Fremont California as a joint venture between GM and Toyota. The plant is called NUMMI.

The Fremont, California GM plant closed in 1982. It was among the highest absentee and problematic plants in the GM system. Toyota and GM turned it around with NUMMI.

After the Nova/Corolla, the GM product out of there became the Prizm, which has just been discontinued in the last year or so.

Old 01-27-03, 08:00 AM
Just don't make them like they use to, huh.

Kay

Old 01-27-03, 04:58 PM
You guys brought back a memory...
We had an old (late '60's) Bonneville and the high beam indicator was a red light which was actually shaped like the old indian head. Anyone else remember those?

Old 01-27-03, 05:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes. Pontiac always made a nice car. Even in the 70's, there were always touches and such that made it unique to anything else out there.

I have always liked Pontiac better than Chevrolet for a lot of reasons like that. Pontiac V8's run forever and are very reliable and easy to work with.

Nothing against Chevrolet. If you dropped an Impala with a 409 in my garage, I wouldn't kick it out. LOL. My friend called me about a year ago saying, "Hey Joe, I have this chance to buy this 1964 Pontiac Parisienne Convertible with a 409. I was going to buy it, but what the hell is it, etc, etc, etc".

Before I could say GRAB IT!, it was sold. That was a Canadian Pontiac. It was really a Chevy Impala 409 SS model in disguise (Canadian Pontiacs used Chevy V8's most times).

Old 01-27-03, 05:11 PM
Like you I am partial to Pontiac's. I wish that they would build a truck or Suburban.
I've owned a '68 GTO and a '72 Ventura 2 (looked like a Nova). The GTO goes without saying, but the stock Ventura 2 with it's 350 and 2 bbl would blow any Nova and most other 350's off the road. The only Pontiac that I was disappointed in was my brother's '67 Firebird. It was a beautiful car, but it had a 326 and a two speed (remember the super-slip?) transmission.

Old 01-27-03, 07:07 PM
And the GTO returns this year!

Old 01-27-03, 07:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
As an Austrailian Holden with a "Chevy" LS1, but yes

Old 01-27-03, 09:26 PM
No way will it be able to hang with the old Detroit Iron! It won't sound right, no T10 muncey, no hood tach, no "can't pull my back off the seat" go power...

Old 01-27-03, 09:41 PM
Nova

The word 'nova' is Latin and means 'new.'

Pontiac originally was Oakland. In 1932, Oakland ended and the Pontiac Motor Company was founded. Pontiac was named for the chief of the Ottawa Indians, who ruled tribes around in the Great Lakes region. The Pontiac was designed to fill a price gap between Chevrolet and Oldsmobile in the lower-priced car market.

Old 01-28-03, 03:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dan:

The Super T10 was a 4 speed Borg-Warner tranny, not a Muncie

My ' 79 Trans Am has it.

I think you mean the "M20" or "M21" Muncie, one of which was called the "Rockcrusher" for its shifting style. LOL

Old 01-28-03, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
To answer the original post:

P uts
O ut
N oxious
T oxins
I nducing
A cute
C hoking

Old 01-28-03, 05:00 AM
Hey Dan,

A 5.7 (350) aluminum block will put out 340 horses!
It may not sound the same, but it will be quicker.

Thanx twelvepole,
as soon as I hit submit a few days I remembered Pontiac was a chief not a tribe.

fred

Old 01-28-03, 05:55 AM
You guys are great. Thanks for all the information on what the car names mean.

TowGuy, I drive a ford taurus now. So I guess I have it double now. A bullheaded, stubborn car that needs to be Fixed Or Repaired Daily LOL!

I do like the car, though. It has served me well so far. The power steering is giving me some trouble, but you guys warned me about that so I'm on it. Thank goodness its under warranty.

What GTO did Diesel drive in Triple X? That was a sweet car until they added all the artillery. Also, 'nother stupid question from the peanut gallery, what car did he drive at the end of Fast and Furious?

Twelve: I can't remember which market they were referring to with the Nova, but obviously from the information you posted it was not the latin market. I returned the book to the library so I can't check into it. No matter. Just some trivia.

Kay

Old 01-28-03, 06:11 AM
YOU A THRILL-SEEKER? Enter the Pontiac GTOŽ-xXx Sweepstakes for a chance to meet the cast of the xXx Sequel, starring Vin Diesel. Brought to you by the all-new Pontiac GTO, the hottest action to hit the streets in 2003.

Old 01-28-03, 06:35 AM
Not a thrill seeker today. Have to live vicariously through the movies since I've grown up, and don't heal like I use to! Wrecked too many cars that way.

I've had a couple of cars that were pretty cool. One was a Chevy Monza Mirage. There were only 3 sold in Memphis, TN and my dad got me one. After getting airborne in the car a couple of times, daddy took it away. (in the late 70's, probably around '78). As I've gotten older, my memories escape me.

My ex was mean. I justify this statement by the fact that I purchased a 68 Ford Mustang. All it needed was the 'd' for the FORD on the front, new brakes and a clutch. Oh, the back floorboard was rusted out, but that was easily replaced. We did the work needed and were working on stripping the car (paint). All that done, and the idiot sells it. I only paid $400 for the car! Body: not a rust spot or dent anywhere. The paint had cracked (like dry mud) due to either the car being painted with cold paint while warm or vice versa.

I had another one, but the name escapes me, just lost control of the car if you weren't careful, way too powerful for city driving. My thrill seeking days are limited to mudding now. Me and my fullsize 4wd blazer. I just putt around town in my little ol' momma taxi (the station wagon).

Kay

Kay

Old 01-28-03, 07:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. Each person has cars that have stuck in their mind. Fortunately for me, I still own them .

Old 01-28-03, 09:35 AM
Joe,
On GM 4 speeds, I thought the M20 was the wide ratio, M21 was the close ratio, M22 was the "rock crusher". Many years ago I search high and low for "rock crusher" for my 68 Chevelle, of course everyone said that they had rock crusher for sell but they werent. Somewhere in my file cabinet at home I have pictures and notes on how to tell rock crusher from the others. Main difference if i recall was the gears where cut different angle?
All this talk of old cars make me want to get my Chevelle out, but there salt on the roads ( car hasnt seen rain\snow in last 10 years), oh well I guess leave it garage to keep my wifes 79 TA 403 company.

http://members.aye.net/~bartland/Pic.../My-68-002.jpg

Last edited by Online2; 01-29-03 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-28-03, 09:53 AM
Wow! She's a beauty.

Kay

Old 01-28-03, 11:48 AM
MTgets
Visiting Guest
Kay

I believe the car he drove at the end of the FandF movie was a Dodge Charger most likely a '69 with a 426 Hemi or a 440 six pack. The same car the Duke boys drove around Hazard Co.

Old 01-28-03, 06:34 PM
Online2,
The color of your 68 Chevelle is Fathom Blue. My SS 396, my first car, was the same color with a white rag top. Wish I still had it, but it caught fire one Memorial weekend - SOB.
A good friend of mine still has his unmarked 427 69 Chevelle.

fred

Old 01-28-03, 06:44 PM
A Baracuda. That was the car I couldn't remember.

Kay

Old 01-28-03, 08:03 PM
Plymouth Cudas

Although the Plymouth Baracuda is considered a prize among vintage car collectors, I never cared for them back then. Those were the days when I had to walk and hitch hike everywhere. They came out a couple weeks before the Mustang hit the market, but Mustang took the market by storm. The Mustangs always caught my eye on the street, but as a young girl the Corvettes and Jags were by far sexier (more so than the drivers). Now, when I see a Cuda I always grin; I think I judged them too harshly. Cudas were much sexier than my new Kia. Vettes and Jags still turn my head.

Old 01-28-03, 08:13 PM
I got that one sometime in the early 80's. I liked it, but it scared the fool out of even me. Don't remember exactly why we sold it, but that is when I found the Mustang.

Kay

Old 01-29-03, 05:03 AM
fewalt
Actually my chevelle is black, blue you see is the reflection of the blue sky . I keep it in the garage with a car cover on it at all times. I wish I had all the orignal parts, but person who owned before me, used as a drag car. So now its a 327,4speed,GM 12bolt with 4-11 gears with moroso brute posi
Reason for 4-11 gears I had plan on racing on the weekends, but when I crack top quarter panel and front windshield post (lucky it happen before I had it painted) coming out the hole to hard, so I decide to make it weekend fun car
Thanks Kay for nice comments

Online2

Old 01-29-03, 09:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Online:

The T10 is a Borg Warner Super T10 4 speed. That's RPO code M21.

M20, M21, M22 refer to GM option codes (Called RPO codes or Regular Production Options) and most which were recycled.

Old 01-29-03, 10:30 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
online/joef, you are both correct about the trannys. the 4spd in your '79 would be a m21 st10 borgwarner. But back in the day, an m20 was a wide ratio, m21 close ratio, and m22 rockcrusher--these were all muncies. I have rebuilt several muncies and super t's they are VERY similar. I have a preference for pontiac powered 4spd's. '79 10th anni 4spd, '77 formula 4spd, and currently own a '68 ragtop, 350HO, 4spd.

Old 01-29-03, 12:21 PM
I should of said I was refering to the Muncie 4speeds. Its probably 10+ since I rebuild the 4 speed(M20) in my chevelle. Payed $100 for it, plus $150 for rebuild kit. I was scared to death I never get thing back together(when I rebuilt it there wasnt much info on how). But I guess I got it right, still together. I got pictures somewhere, if I found them I will post them where I had gears & synchro rings and everything else laid across my bench.

Joe,
Are engine parts for 403 that came in some of the 79 T\A hard to find? Some day I like to restore my wifes T\A for her. Its was a graduation present from her parents. But her ex-husband made a pretty big mess of the car.

Old 01-29-03, 01:59 PM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Yep, just did a st10 several years ago and the rebuild kit was $150. As long as the front bearing doesn't get seized in the case you are all right, and never, ever, pry against, pound on, or otherwise touch the gears, or you will chip them, and they are VERY expensive.

Old 01-29-03, 04:05 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Engine parts (at least stock replacement) parts are easy to find for the 403 as it's as common as dog poo in the Oldsmobile engine family.

Restoring a 403 is futile as they aren't worth jack compared to a 400 Pontiac. However, this one has sentimental value, so it's "worth" it .

You can make an Oldsmobile motor run, but it just costs more. I don't buy anything but Pontiac powered Pontiacs that are special editions, but that's just me .

Old 01-30-03, 01:03 AM
Older Pontiacs mean "Never having to say I have to fix it!"

Old 01-30-03, 04:20 AM
Group Moderator
No way for it to break down sitting on blocks in the driveway. LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 01-30-03, 05:35 AM

My stuff usually sits on blocks, not because of who makes it, but who's trying to fix it: me LOL

Kay

Old 01-30-03, 12:20 PM
My Pontiac is OK but my blocks need repair!!!

Old 01-30-03, 01:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
That's right...from non use of the blocks. LOL

(I.e. It's always running and ready for service. LOL)