transmission

Old 01-25-03, 08:55 PM
TPoo
Visiting Guest
Question transmission wont go out of 2nd gear unless I force it out

I have a 1986 Dodge Caravan 2.6 enigine,automatic transmission, I cant seem to get it out of 2nd gear unless I give it more gas and then it does so unwillingly, and I have noticed also that at times it does not want to go into passing gear when i am going up a hill. I have checked the transmission fluid and it is full and the color is pinkish. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong, or what is going on with it, It just started this a couple of days ago. Also there is a peice on the carbrator that the wire has come off on and i cannot get anyone to tell me what it is, If i am looking at the carb. it is on the left hand side and at the base of the carb. it plugs into the carb. dont know what it is would like to find out though. thank you
TPoo

ps. It is a mitsbihsi engine

Last edited by TPoo; 01-25-03 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-03, 07:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could be that there's a missing or broken downshift cable (that's what the wire that you found might be). Check with any Chrysler dealer and they can check in their parts book for that year and advise you. If you drive it over to them, I'm sure the parts person will have a look at it to help identify it and order you the right part that's needed.

Beyond that, these are terrible vehicles and engines. They can be quite expensive to repair at this stage of the game. See what the above nets you before sinking any real money into a moneypit like this.