Pulley removal

Old 01-26-03, 04:53 AM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Smile Pulley removal

I need to take off two pullies, a 5 inch and 3 inch. I know if I try to use my gear pullers in the normal way, I will bend the pullies. Is there a special set of pullers that will grab closer to the shaft? Or is there a method of doing this without ruining the pullies? Thanks for any tips - Gordy.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-03, 06:00 AM
what is these pulleys on?
is there any threaded holes to use a regular balancer puller on it to remove?
if it has a groove on the front you may be able to use a p/s pump pulley remover.

Old 01-26-03, 06:22 AM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
bejay, these pullies are on a threaded 7/8 inch shaft. There is a threaded hole in the center of the shaft where a grease fitting goes. These pullies are on a lawn mower deck. I thought for the price of getting new pullies, I could buy the proper puller. Someone said to cut the pullies off but I want to make that a last resort because this is an older machine and the pullies may be hard to find. Thanks for any help - Gordy.

Old 01-26-03, 06:45 AM
do the pulleys thread on the shaft , do they have a lock down screw which prevents them from loosening on the shaft.
perhaps someone can help in the small engines forum, they would be more likely to give you the correct solution.

Old 01-26-03, 07:02 AM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
The pulley is on a keyway/key. I did post over at small engines, I will see what they say. Thanks for the help I appreciate it. - Gordy.

Old 01-26-03, 07:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A power steering puller may work. You may want to browse a local Sears store or good parts store and look for different types of pullers that would work best.

Old 01-26-03, 07:53 AM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe, I will check it out. Enjoy the weekend. - Gordy.

Old 01-26-03, 08:04 AM
Good Morning, IN the application your referring to I suggest using a bearing race puller. They look like a flat plate which is split in half with a threaded rod on both sides . With this type of puller you can get close to the shaft, as needed to pull off bearings sometimes, and it shouldn't damage the pulleys. You will still need a 2 hole puller to bolt to the race puller though, unless you can get this into an arbor press or the like. You might be able to rent one at an Autozone, I'm not sure. Good Luck.

Old 01-26-03, 09:10 AM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Thanks Toni, that sounds like something along the line of what I need. Regards - Gordy.

Old 01-26-03, 10:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Far fetched idea, but if none of these ideas work, any auto parts store with a machine shop should have the proper puller and will either rent it to you at a nominal fee, or can do the R&R of the pulleys for you.

It might be cumbersome to bring the equipment in that it's attached to though...

Old 01-26-03, 11:08 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
trying to visualize your problem. Does not sound right to have a key and also a threaded shaft. These are on the blade jackshaft I presume? Are the threads just for a hold down nut? Can you remove the blades and then the jackshaft/bearing housing for easier access to the pulley. I suspect the pulley is just rusted on the shaft. A tight fit plus the key rusts pretty tight in a short time.