burning coolant, but from where?

Old 01-26-03, 09:04 AM
rward
Visiting Guest
Question burning coolant, but from where?

Hello all -

I have a '91 Subaru Loyale (1.8L, SPFI) that has been burning coolant in the right bank. There's no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. I was hoping it was a leaking intake manifild gasket rather than a head gasket so I replaced the intake manifold gaskets twice. It burned less after the first time, so I did it again and (reluctantly) used gasket dressing the second time to make sure it sealed. Same thing - it still burns about the same amount, but less than originally. I'm pretty darn sure that the intake manifold isn't leaking. Any ideas? I've heard cracked heads are fairly common on these motors, but I'm confused because the leak slowed down, but didn't stop with the manifold work, which makes me want to attribute the leak to the manifold, but like I said... It's never been hot enough to warp the head or manifold since I've owned it (it didn't leak when I bought it a year ago). Does anyone know of way to determine where the leak is coming from?

Pulling a head on these motors is a major pain, especially considering I just replaced the timing belts a couple of months ago. However, I would do it if I knew it was the problem. What's the current concensus on leak stop like Bars Leaks and Silver Seal? Any help is appreciated.

-Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-03, 09:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Blown gasket or wiped out cylinder head. Common failure.

Send the head off to a machine shop when you disassemble it to make sure it's still good to use and straight.

If the vehicle is in poor shape, pitch it now. These early Subarus were rough and crude. It may be good money after bad depending on the rest of the vehicle condition.

Old 01-27-03, 12:35 AM
How are you sure it's burning the coolant? What are your engine's specific symptoms?

Old 01-27-03, 07:51 PM
rward
Visiting Guest
I know it's burning coolant because of the smelly white cloud. This is most obvious if I've been driving on the highway, stop and turn the car off for a few minutes and start up again. I was hoping it was just leaking coolant and the cloud was some other phenomenon, but when I pulled the plugs out of the hot motor, a little steam came out, but only the right bank. I also noticed the plugs in the right bank were cleaner than the ones in the left (from all the steam-cleaning I suppose). Of course, the coolant level also drops slightly in the overflow tank once it's cooled down.

-Rick

Old 01-27-03, 09:23 PM
More than one plug showing sounds more like a blown gasket or a warped head rather than a crack.