Problems solved, finally........

Old 01-27-03, 09:58 AM
Problems solved, finally........

Just to post the final outcome of a few things that lingered on and on with my car... (86 Cutlass Supreme)

vibration- car had a wobble at 20mph and nasty vibration at 50+ mph. I rotated the tires in every possible combination to see if I could determine which tire/wheel was the culprit. After noticing no change (vibration and wobble came from the rear) in the way it acted, I began to suspect a slightly bent axle or, as Joe mentioned, a missing balance on the drive shaft. NOPE.

Several people looked at the car and none agreed on the problem (some say shifted tread, bent wheel, bent axle, etc....). So on a whim, I got rid of the 14" ralley wheels and replaced them with a nice set of 15" Pacers and put on some 205/65 Goodyear Integritys (on a budget). Problem solved- no vibration. One of the wheels was bent slightly, and another tire on another wheel had shifted tread. This car must'av been to hell and back before I bought it.

Heater- Heater quit working. After trying to change the thermostat, and breaking a freakin bolt off in the engine block (at thermostat housing), I finally got the bolt out and replaced, and put in the new Tsat. No help, cold heater. Couldn't get the heater control valve off to replace it b/c the tranny dipstick was flush next to it, so I couldn't unscrew the valve. Had a mechanic replace it, not sure how he accomplished it. Heater works fine.

Also, a buddy at work complained of his early-90's Taurus stinking like anitfreeze on the inside and fogging up the windows when the heater was on--- leaky heater core. Told him to put some "Bars Leaks" in the radiator and run the heater. So far it's worked just fine- no more leak (the car is about to fall to pieces anyhow so it would be stupid to put that much work in to replace heater core, car will be dead in a year anyhooo!)

Thanks to Joe_F (the real one) and all the others for the help....

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-03, 10:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. I did mention a bent rim some time back if you recall .

Bars Leak will get him by for a while and then it will just goo up the system again. But as you mention, the car is two steps away from the junkyard where you indicate it seems to belong. LOL.

Glad you fixed it all.

Old 01-27-03, 10:57 AM
So am I! I had ruled out the bent wheel thing since the vibration didn't seem to change a bit, even after a full rotation of the tires. Go figure!

Old 01-27-03, 12:34 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol. Well, at least it's fixed.