Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1985 Jeep Won't Start

Visiting Guest

01-27-03, 05:19 PM   #1  
Gary's_wife
1985 Jeep Won't Start

My hubby's 1985 Jeep Cherokee 2.5L has been on occasion acting like it is flooding as we drive. We will be going along great and then it starts chugging. My hubby thought at first he was getting water in his fuel. He used gas line antifreeze but it has continued. It doesn't do this all the time just maybe once a week. When the chugging starts we can only go about 20 mph. He has pulled over and pecked the carburator and checked to see if the choke was stuck. Sometimes after doing this the Jeep would be okay other times not. We also notice black puffs of smoke coming out the exhaust when it is acting this way. He has set the timing, replaced spark plugs. We had a cold spell last week (0 degree) the Jeep has not started since then. It has a new battery and cranks good. My hubby even tried starting fluid but nothing will get it started. Of course we still are in single digit temperatures. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links

01-28-03, 01:59 AM   #2  
It sounds like you might not be getting any spark. Check for spark when it wont start. If no spark my first guess would be an ignition control module or a crankshaft position sensor(if equipped).

Visiting Guest

01-28-03, 03:38 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Start with my "The Basics" post below and tell us what you find. I agree with Stevo.

Visiting Guest

01-28-03, 03:24 PM   #4  
Gary's_wife
We checked for spark. It had very good spark. Plugs are blackened. Hooked up booster cables, still wouldn't start. Hubby thought it might have jumped time. Carburator spewed gas every time it almost hit. Hubby worked distributer back and forth as I cranked it. Several times it almost started. After trying for a few minutes it did start.
Since we bought this Jeep last year my hubby has had to make a regular practice of timing it. He would get it just right and by a day or two later it would be off a little. I want to know the underlying problem so we can fix it. Hubby is thinking it might need a distributer or timing chain. What do you all think?

Last edited by Gary's_wife; 01-28-03 at 03:53 PM.

01-28-03, 07:19 PM   #5  
Now that you have explained the timing scenario. I'll almost bet the chain and gears are shot. You were probably correcting the timing for a loose chain and now it finally slipped a tooth or two. This will also cause backfiring through the carb and the fuel problems you describe.

Visiting Guest

01-29-03, 10:14 AM   #6  
Joe_F
I agree. Wasted internal timing components.

Visiting Guest

01-31-03, 06:44 AM   #7  
Gary's_wife
Is there any way to know if the timing chain has jumped a notch without removing the cover?

Visiting Guest

01-31-03, 07:58 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Based on your description, the chain and gears are wasted and should be changed anyhow. For the timing to vary like you said, it is very worn out.

01-31-03, 05:21 PM   #9  
You could try this method.
www.misterfixit.com/chanslop.htm

If you replace the chain and gears make sure you replace any tensioner/s(if equipped).

Search this Thread