Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

4 X 4 steering question

Visiting Guest

01-27-03, 06:30 PM   #1  
highkamp
4 X 4 steering question

Both our vehicals are newer GMC 4 X 4's and I would like to know why they always turn (steer) so hard and strained when engaged in 4 wheel drive? I know this is a simple question but its one thats always perplexed me.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-27-03, 06:55 PM   #2  
fuller911
I was always told that when engaged in 4 wheel drive that the front wheels actually turn a little faster. So if you're on dry pavement you will notice more stress because the front and back wheels aren't turning at the same speed. Causes a little push pull war. Like I said this is what I've been told by a friend. It could be totally wrong. Which it probably is.

Visiting Guest

01-27-03, 07:07 PM   #3  
Joe_F
We had a post here recently about this type of question which was answered by Otter of this forum.

Certain types of GM 4WD should not be used on dry pavement. You will get noises and can cause damage.

Your owner's manual should give more guidance on this issue.

Visiting Guest

01-28-03, 10:53 AM   #4  
darrell McCoy
I had a 4xx GMC a few years ago, worked fine on ice, snow or mud. Dry pavement really caused a steering reaction. Fact is if I remember correctly, owners manual advised not to use 4x4 on dry pavement. Had the the new fangled shift on the run. I am an old geezer and prefered the old locking hubs myself.

Search this Thread