98 Chevy Lumina

Old 01-28-03, 04:34 AM
ServiceGrunt
Visiting Guest
98 Chevy Lumina

I have a 98 chevy lumina. Is there any way to change the back three spark plugs without "rotating the engine" as the repair manual says? If not, how is that done! Also, is there any way to retrieve a "service engine soon" lite code without taking it to a garage any paying megabucks to hook it up to a computer? Thanks for any help with these problems.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-03, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Not sure about the plug question, but for codes go to AutoZone if there is one in your area. They will read codes for no charge. Possibly some of the other big parts places also do this (Advance, Pep Boys), but AutoZone advertises it extensively.

Old 01-28-03, 05:34 AM
you can change the plugs with 2 ball swivels plug socket and around an 8 inch extension and a flex head ratchet, the swivels alone are not that cheap so you may just want to roll the engine forward rather than buying this stuff which you may only use once.

Old 01-28-03, 07:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with BeJay, but I'm sure you can pick up those tool items from Sears through their Craftsman line. Tools come in handy and I rarely use something I buy only once .

Plus you get a lifetime guarantee. Well worth it.

I'm also with TowGuy on Autozone and the code pulling. Tell us what they find.

Old 01-28-03, 05:01 PM
ServiceGrunt
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tips guys. I wouldn`t have bought this dam car had I known just changing the plugs involved major surgery. But, I guess I`ve heard the same kind of complaints about the new heating & cooling units in my line of work.

Ill check out the Auto Zone as advised on code pulling and I think I`ll just let someone who knows how do my plugs. It kind of scares the hell out of me to think of rotating the engine to get at the plugs. As far as buying the tools to do it, I have these bad feelings about breaking the plug off in the block! Don`t even want to think about it. I`ll let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Old 01-29-03, 10:17 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nah, I don't think you'll break the plug in the block. You could try going from underneath if you want.

That's why owning an American car with a V8 and easy access to the plugs and other maintenance items rules .

Old 02-02-03, 06:33 AM
ServiceGrunt
Visiting Guest
Went to Auto Zone and had codes pulled. #300-random-multiple cylinder misfire detected. Has 103,000 miles on it. Time for spark plug change. OK. Can anyone please explain to me in detail how you rotate the engine to get to the back 3 plugs? I dont really want to go buy out the tool store to get the special ratchets, extensions, swivel sockets, ect.. My repair manual dont go into HOW to do it , it just says you HAVE to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time (and patience).

Old 02-02-03, 06:56 AM
its pretty easy just unbolt the dogbone looking mounts at the top front of the engine and using a prybar start pulling the engine toward you one of the mounts usually has a second hole you can slide the bolt into to hold the engine in the forward position, sometimes it helps to rock the car back and forth to get the engine to come further foward to be able to slide the bolt through the second hole.

Old 02-02-03, 07:12 AM
ServiceGrunt
Visiting Guest
Thanks BJ. One more question. Do you have to unhook any wiring, linkage or anything before you try to rotate?

Old 02-02-03, 07:27 AM
no you do not move the engine that much so nothing need to be unkooked.

Old 02-02-03, 07:31 AM
ServiceGrunt
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick response. I`ll give `er the old college try and let you know how it turns out. May the force be with me.

Old 02-02-03, 03:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have a look at autolibrary.org below for some more ideas.