Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Knock in Both Front Wheel Wells

Visiting Guest

01-28-03, 03:37 PM   #1  
winkmccarthy
Knock in Both Front Wheel Wells

I own a 1988 Mazda 626 4 cylinder, and it has a knocking or clucking noise in the front wheel wells when I turn either right or left. The car drives fine at both slow & high speeds, and doesn't seem to have any other problems other than the noise. I live in MA, where we've been experiencing below zero weather, and have noticed in the last week that the noise has seemingly gotten louder. Any ideas?!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-28-03, 04:17 PM   #2  
bigdane
That noise is when the drive shaft couplings are getting old and worn - unfortunately, there's not much do to except replace either the couplings (joints) or the complete drive shafts.

Don't drive with this condition for too, long, it has happened that a joint has severed, causing the drive shaft to flail - causing not only severe damage to the car, but also personal injury. If you are lucky, the drive shafts / joints can be bought at your local parts store - the original ones are probably expensive.

Good luck (and get them replaced)

Sven

Visiting Guest

01-28-03, 07:56 PM   #3  
mabe72496
sounds like cv shafts to me

i work as an automotive mechanic in a shop in nebraska and i find that when a constant velosity joint is going bad it makes that clunking type noise you describe . the shafts are relitively easily replaced and are also less expensive than just replaceing the cv joints themselves. they do pose a safety hazard to the vehical if they break so i recomend that you get them checked out soon!!!! when i replace a cv joint i recomend to my customer to replace the complete shft with a remanufactured unit because they will get 2 new joints and cv boots that are already installed on a shaft ready for instlation in the vehical, which usualy takes about an hour or two to complete.

Visiting Guest

01-29-03, 05:48 AM   #4  
winkmccarthy
Same thing?

Is a drive shaft coupling & cv joints the same thing? How much $$ are we talking to get it replaced professionally? Thanks guys!

Visiting Guest

01-29-03, 09:43 AM   #5  
Joe_F
You should go with two rebuilt axles. Prices vary from 75 bucks on up depending on the application.

Yes, it sounds like bad CV joints.

Search this Thread