Whining Sound F-150

Old 01-28-03, 04:27 PM
jrodcat
Visiting Guest
Whining Sound F-150

1987 F-150 Automatic, 109K mile. This truck is in great shape. It hasn't been used much other than for the occasional hauling of mulch. It has an awfull whining sound at idle. It's been sitting for a couple of months but it has been started up to keep the battery charged. Once I accelarate, the whining goes away. I looked at the serpentine belt and it is hard and sort of glossy. I think that's the problem. Anyone agree?

Same truck different problem. My front passenger side blinker does not blink. I replaced the bulb and it still does not blink. I even switched them around to be sure the bulb was good and it is. Might it be the actual socket itself? How do I check? I have a meter but I'm not sure what to do. Please help???

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-03, 04:48 PM
could be the belt take the belt off and start the truck for 15 seconds or so and see if the noise is still there if its not, and you can spin all the pulleys by hand smoothly without hearing noise then the belt is likely at fault,
check both your front and rear turn signal bulbs to insure they work, possible bad flasher, or if indicator or bulb does not light up could also be a problem in turn signal switch.

Old 01-28-03, 05:50 PM
jrodcat
Visiting Guest
I'll do the belt thing tomorrow. All the other bulbs work fine. The indicator light comes on but does not blink it just stays on. The rear blinker comes on but does not blink. I'm asuming that's because the front one is out. Would that be an accurate assumption?

Old 01-28-03, 07:03 PM
if your front signal does not light it is likely the cause of the problem could be a socket or ground probelm or wiring problem, if you have a meter check for power to the socket and check for good continuity to ground with an ohmmeter a good ground should read 10 ohms or less you place one lead on the negative battery terminal and the other on the side of the socket where the bulb grounds out, dual filament bulb check the two tabs at the bottom of the socket with a voltmeter one will have voltage with turn signal the other with parklights on.

Old 01-29-03, 10:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with BeJay.

Old 01-30-03, 02:54 PM
jrodcat
Visiting Guest
Continuity is 9.78, Voltage on one tab with lights on truck off is 11, with turn signal on is 2. The 2 doesn't seem right?

Old 01-30-03, 04:49 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Do the hazards work correctly? If they do, the flasher is wasted and it's a 5 dollar repair and five minutes once you find it.

Old 01-30-03, 05:43 PM
the 2 volts isnt right you will need to check voltage on that wire at the turnsignal switch connector and see if it has correct voltage there, if it does you will have to continue to check voltage at different spots on that wire out to the bulb until you find the problem of where it lost voltage, sometimes they use a bulk connector on the firewall that the terminals corrode up and could be a possible place to look at, also if the wire loom runs anywhere near the battery would also be a good place to look closely at for damaged wiring, if you dont have the correct voltage at turn signal switch connector probably have defective turn signal switch, a wiring diagram will help you to do this easier autolibrary has some for your vehicle but they are not that great in detail and im sure alldata or factory manual would be better.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Old 01-30-03, 07:45 PM
jrodcat
Visiting Guest
Thanks, it was the switch, it had corrosion on the black wire. I cut it off and put a new switch on it and everything works fine. Thanks...