Flirting Aerostar

Old 01-28-03, 09:23 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Flirting Aerostar

1994 Ford Aerostar 3.0 auto....

About 2 weeks ago the headlights sarted flashing intermittently when turned on. This occurs whether on high or low beam. I believe it may be the headlight switch. Anyone disagree? and if so, why?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-03, 09:28 PM
flashing as completly going out and coming back on or flashing as dimming and then getting brighter?

Old 01-28-03, 10:35 PM
Could also be relay or circuit breaker (if used on that model) or a poor ground.

Old 01-28-03, 11:53 PM
The switch sounds like a good place to start. The connector that plugs into it may be melted also. If you have a short you should be able to hear the circuit breaker click on and off and they usually will do it with a kinda a rythem. If you have a bulkhead connector on the firewall, this is where the wiring passes through the firewall from the engine and there are connectors there, check them for corrosion. the other thing to check would be the 12volt supply wiring from the switch to the engine compartment where it feeds from.

Old 01-29-03, 07:56 AM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
The lights do go completely out and back on again. No dimming and getting brighter. This is something that just started one day, there were no events leading up to it, such as flickers or periodic outages. I will check the connectors on the bulkhead for any corrosion, melting, etc and to make sure there is a good ground connection being made first. thanks for your professional input folks!

Old 01-29-03, 09:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Stevo.

Old 01-30-03, 12:30 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Found what I suspect to be the problem...the connector that connects to the headlight switch itself is melted at several points...

Question...does the entire harness have to be replaced or is there a repair kit for this? and if so, where do I get one?

Old 01-30-03, 12:58 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Common failure on most Fords. Any parts store will stock the correct replacement plug. No, you do not need to replace the whole harness.

Old 01-30-03, 01:22 PM
Jack, you should be able to get just the connector to splice in. Call your major auto parts stores for availabilty.
At NAPA if your car calls for the HL6663 Headlight switch then the connector would be an EC6. Always double check my numbers. I'm sure you know to replace the switch also. Ford is another source for the connector.

Old 01-30-03, 02:57 PM
JackMaster
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies guys...

I found the connector at Carquest Auto.

NAPA locally did not show a listing for this part.
Ford dealer claimed to only have the block, not the spiceable connector. They said they stopped making them a couple years ago. Sounds a little off to me.

I replaced the connector and switch and all is working great!!

Old 01-30-03, 04:47 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

The Ford dealer is correct, it's an "erector set". You have to buy the terminals, connector housing, wires and such and make your own.

The aftermarket connectors are the same exact thing assembled already. You did the right thing.

GM and Delco offer a connector for their vehicles like the aftermarket---complete. Light years ahead of the way Ford does it.