Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1989 Civic LX running rough and will not go above 1300 RPMS

Visiting Guest

01-30-03, 09:19 AM   #1  
BoomBoom0
1989 Civic LX running rough and will not go above 1300 RPMS

I have a 1989 Civic LX sedan (160,000 miles) with the 1.5L engine and 5-speed manual transmission. The car overheated a few months ago. Just last week the head gasket was replaced, and a complete valve job was done. The car had been sitting about 3 months without being driven. After we got the engine back together it stopped overheating, but it ran poorly(hesitating until it would finally go above 3-4K rpms). We replaced the spark plugs, wires, o2 sensor, fuel filter and put in some fuel system cleaner. It then ran great on a 800 mile trip.

Just the other day I was slowing down quickly for a red light and the car stalled. It would not start right away. When we finally got it started, the car idles really rough. Stepping on the gas causes no increase in RPM's, and the car just about stalls. If you leave your foot off the gas, it will run about 2 mintues and eventually sputter and die. The car is not driveable.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-30-03, 10:35 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Start with my posts and links below in my signature file.

01-31-03, 12:37 AM   #3  
Have you replaced your fuel filter/s and checked the fuel pressure? Could your timing belt have slipped a tooth?

Visiting Guest

01-31-03, 06:07 AM   #4  
Joe_F
I agree with Stevo.

Visiting Guest

02-08-03, 03:27 PM   #5  
BoomBoom0
It turned out to be a loose set screw that holds the rotor to the shaft in the distributor. It apparently fell out. So the spark plugs were just firing randomly.

Thanks for your help!!

Last edited by BoomBoom0; 02-08-03 at 04:03 PM.

Search this Thread