Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Alternator Probs

Visiting Guest

01-31-03, 08:44 AM   #1  
JoePA
Alternator Probs

I have a 1995 Chevy Caprice with about 100,000 mi. now and the only thing that's been acting up lately is the alternator. I'm just getting my 3rd one in a year put on! After the first one died I couldn't afford to have a new one put on so the mechanic got me ones from a junkyard and tested them ok. What made me hesitate to get a new one is he said if there's an electrical problem a new one could die as well. So I'm wondering if there's some unseen electrical problem that can't be found with diagnostics and how I can get to the bottom of this once and for all.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-31-03, 09:23 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Purchase an AC-Delco rebuilt and be done with it. The quality of rebuilt alternators varies widely and Delco does the best job out there of rebuilding GM alternators.

If there's an electrical problem, it must be found or else you will just be back to square one. If the mechanic cannot determine where the problem is, time for a new mechanic .

Search this Thread