Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1991 Pontiac 6000 3.1 not starting

Visiting Guest

01-31-03, 11:18 AM   #1  
WhatQuestion
1991 Pontiac 6000 3.1 not starting

Help My 1991 Pontiac 6000 3.1 wagon doesn't want to start. I've tested the starter, it's getting power no prob. Car did start when we attached a starter button directly to the starter motor. The solnoid was corroded, so we replaced it. One connection just past the ignition was corroded, (sorry I don't know the names of these parts) so we cleaned it and greased it with the proper electrical grease stuff. It started okay for a day and a half but chugged occasionally and wouldn't idle properly. Then it would die completely. I put injection cleaner in the gas as well as gas line antifreeze/water remover this morning thinking it might solve the rough idle. It is now sitting in my sons' school parking lot. I looked under the hood to see if the wire connection we cleaned up might have been loose and found a small piston fully extended. It is attached to what my friend called a Nutral Safety Switch. Because the piston was clean and shiny, not normally exposed to the elements, I figured this is the porblem. However, I can't get the piston to retract to see if it is the problem. Anyone have any ideas?? Tks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

01-31-03, 01:28 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Start with the links and posts in my signature file below. Tell us what you find.

01-31-03, 06:55 PM   #3  
Sounds like maybe 2 different problems? As it stands right now will the starter engage and turn over the motor when using the ignition switch?

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Chilton...08CH07_22.HTML

Search this Thread