Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

OBD I &II scanners

02-01-03, 06:57 PM   #1  
OBD I &II scanners

I am looking to buy a scanner and would like some advice on them. Can the AUTO-XRAY brand (type) scan the same type of things that the Snap-On brand does? I am interested in getting the real time readings from my blazer (the code 54 thread that I can't fix), and future cars with good problems. Or am I wasting my money on anything under $2000. Any help from people with any scanners would be great.

Sponsored Links

IA

02-01-03, 09:14 PM   #2  
I started a thread a couple of weeks ago-with few replies, if you have a laptop or a long cable to your PC, for what you want to do I would suggest looking it to an Autotap brand of scan tool- they also have versions that hook up to palm style pda's. This should be more than enough info for the nonprofessional repairperson.

Just remember, you do need a computer of some kind to use it,it is not a standalone scanner.

The only problem with standalone scanners is the limited parameters you can view at one time,from the look of the xray you will probably have 2 or 3 parameters at once at the most. Can be a real pain to find a cure of a troublesome problem with that few of parameters.

I get frustrated at work when I have to grab the Tech I scanner with 4 parameters for pre-96 cars after using the 10 parameter Tech II on 96-up cars. Just not enough info at once.

02-01-03, 10:27 PM   #3  
You all might try poking around the www.batauto.com site for some scanner info or sign up on their mechanics board. You should be able to get some more feedback there. That's one of about 6 sites that I frequent.

02-02-03, 06:52 AM   #4  
It is possible to see all data from the OTC, Snap-On, etc scanners.
Most have the ability to capture a 'snap-shot" of a problem to observe on a PC. A seperate software is available from the manufacture for this. As in any product, I look for the future. Will they supply support or are thy fly-by-nights? Can I upgrade (online software) or will this be a costly subscription? Ask yourself, how often will I be using this tool to warrant the purchase. You get what you pay for.

02-02-03, 07:16 AM   #5  
you would probably get alot more information about fixing your code 54 by just buying a good manual for your vehicle or a subscription to all data, where you could find the flow chart for testing the codes you retrieve and the true deffinition of the code instead of possibly egr or fuel pump circuit its one or the other not both and i think code 32 has to do with the egr system problem on this model not 54.
a scanner is used alot in testing some codes but i dont think you will need it to fix this problem. if you are still thinking of purchasing one you might look into how much the updates will cost also how much to update the capability to do foreign vehicles also cause usually the basic package just has domestic capabilities.

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 03:40 PM   #6  
Joe_F
A good scanner will cost you, you may want to find a used one. Choose one that is upgradeable. There are many good ones out there.

I just got an MPSI (Snap On sells them) for free through a friend. I just have to buy the OBDI upgrades

02-04-03, 12:26 PM   #7  
The ALLDATA info. Does the DIY part give flow chart info or do you need the professional side of the info? I assume the prof. program is not cheap for the at home mechanic, roughly how much am I looking at for all cars and not just one? Thanks for all the help and info about my problem, again and again.

02-04-03, 01:38 PM   #8  
im not sure how much you would be looking at for information on all vehicles you would have to contact them to find out or your local autozone could probably tell you there is different versions such as online and dvd/cd version but it would probably be more than what you would want to spend unless you worked on vehicles every day.
im assuming it would have flow charts on the diy version but may not have all the features such as parts and price estimating but should be very similiar and at 25 bucks per vehicle per the first year really very innexpensive you would pay that much just for a good manual on emmission controls alone.
maybe someone will post that knows more about the differences between the two versions.

02-04-03, 02:23 PM   #9  
I have about 10 subscriptions at www.alldatadiy.com and they are very good. They do contain flowcharts, wiring diagrams, TSB's, etc. It's worth the subscription just for the TSB's alone. First subscription is $24.95 and all after that are $14.95 for each vehicle. These are 1 year subscriptions and you can print all info. Go to the link and there is a button for a DEMO..take the demo and see what you think. My local library has the pro version and I dont think there is any difference other than being able to access all vehicles.

02-04-03, 05:39 PM   #10  
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I hope I can move on from this problem soon.

Visiting Guest

02-06-03, 06:59 PM   #11  
Joe_F
If you're working on one vehicle and plan to keep it, the OEM service manual is the best, bar none.

Search this Thread