Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

gas tank debris?

Visiting Guest

02-01-03, 08:59 PM   #1  
lakes
gas tank debris?

Is it a usual thing to drop a gas tank and find large pieces of leaves and debris inside of it? I have a 2000 grand am se 2.4-I'm tracking down my fuel system problem, pull the tank to get at the fuel pump and find 1/4" and 1/2" sort of square pieces of leaves? Is that the usual stuff to find in a two year old car's gas tank? Or did the prior owner's have some people that didn't like them very well and stuffed leaves in their (now my) tank?

Sponsored Links

IA

02-01-03, 09:25 PM   #2  
If there is debris in there, somebody put it there,period.

Otherwise, you would have a "permanent" check engine light with a recurring P0440 code.

Fuel systems are sealed well for emissions. Pinhole leaks set codes that drive techs crazy trying to find them, if the leaves were getting in from somewhere other than someone putting them through the fill tube, check engine light would be on and the hole would be easily found.

Perhaps the previous owner had some "helpful" little offspring?

02-01-03, 09:53 PM   #3  
Do you have a rubber hose on the filler neck to the tank? Maybe its detiorating? I posted earlier on the fuel pump sock being plugged and gave you a part number for the filter but you might want to consider replacing the pump, strainer, etc now that you have found a problem. I dont see any Service bulletins on bad tanks. Try www.gmpartsdirect.com for better prices.

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 01:29 AM   #4  
lakes
thanx fishpounder-
stevo2-I was in there replacing the sock strainer when I discovered the debris-I replaced the external strainer that GM recommends from that kit(thank you by the way for the info), but there is an internal strainer at the bottom of the fuel module (connected to the pump itself) that looked very bad(debris)-I tried to slide the pump motor out to replace the internal strainer, but it seemed as though the mounting grooves on the inside of the pump module(cavity) that the motor it self is mounted in would not let it come all the way out? Well it seemed as though it wouldn't come all the way out.
The fuel tank feed is metal from the filler cap till about 1 foot from the tank. All hoses looked fine.

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 03:48 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Have the tank boiled out by a radiator shop, replace the pump and module/strainer with a GM/Delco replacement and you should be good to go.

02-02-03, 04:18 PM   #6  
I'm not famalier with that module so you'll have to wing it on your own. I'm sure that you have found your problem.

AC DELCO TS29 [Fuel Pump Strainer/Filter] NPd (Strainer Only)
Delco To GM: 25121625

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 05:27 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Stevo:

The fuel module IS the fuel pump. Most newer fuel pumps are of modular design and include the reservoir and pump ($$$).

You can save a little bit of green by ordering the same OEM part through a parts store that sells AC Delco (same part, different discount structure ).

Search this Thread