Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

it turns and turns

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 12:37 AM   #1  
jrfj
it turns and turns

I have an 88 pont grand am 2.5 that hasn't fired up since it's gotten cold. I started it up and moved it 50ft 1 week ago, but it wouldn't start the next morning. I've tried all I could think of so far and no luck (replaced: plugs/wires, IAC, MAP sensor, TPS, oxygen sensor..all based on codes). It's warmed up for past two days, so line shouldn't be frozen (it went below zero that night).
All fuses including fuel pump are good, pump makes "whirring" noise when key is turned to "on" position, gas in fuel line at TBI, air filter/plate clean. Almost positive it would start after TPS because it was getting harder to fire up right before this happened. I've drained and boosted the battery so often this week that now battery won't even hold a charge! (replacing battery in morning)
Please help!! What am I missing?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

02-02-03, 09:06 AM   #2  
check the basics you need spark, is the injector spraying fuel look down the throttle body and make sure its spraying fuel, run a compression test if its lower than 100 psi squirt a few squirts of oil into cylinder to see if compression comes up sometimes when a car wont start it washes the cylinders down with gas and will lower the compression.

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 10:42 AM   #3  
jrfj
Thanks beejay. The injector isn't spraying. Suggest test of each component of TBI or does that mean something specific like the meter or pressure regular is bad? If it's the regulator, I've been warned about the spring under it (model 700 TBI); I'd hate to have to go to the shop with this.
jrfj

02-02-03, 11:21 AM   #4  
well do you know if the car will start on starting fluid for a few seconds, or otherwise if you have spark or not if you have spark you can probably assume it will start with starting fluid, if it does have spark you should check fuel pressure and injector pulse at the injector with a noid light, fuel pressure should be 9-13 psi if i remember right, this will also tell you if your regulator is working if pressure is within spec you know its ok but if its to low you can determine if regulator or pump is bad by temporarly pinching off the return line coming from the throttlebody, pressure should increase to well above 13 psi usually around 20 psi cranking if pump is ok.
if you do not have injector pulse you may want to check for power to injector with key on with a test light.also might note if your check engine light comes on as it should when you turn the key on, and may check for codes to see if any has returned if you did clear them after replacing all those components.

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 12:17 PM   #5  
jrfj
Thanks again for your speedy reply beejay!
no start with starting fluid. Is there any way to check pressure without the noid light? I don't own one (I know!) and the store locally do not have any that can be rented...
Now that I have no start with fluid, does that mean that I have a problem with spark? It didn't seem like I have a spark problem before.

02-02-03, 01:09 PM   #6  
sounds like you probably dont have spark either might check to see if you dont have spark you likely have a either a bad crank sensor or ignition module but you should check for power and ground to the module on the 2 wire connector that plugs into the module, go to the site below for more detailed about crank sensor and module location and assembly.
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 02:57 PM   #7  
Joe_F
Original poster:

STOP!!! Don't throw parts at the problem. You will not solve your prolem!

Find the root cause of your problem by chekcking the links and posts I have below. Tell us what you find after reading my "The Basics" below.

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 05:07 PM   #8  
jrfj
Thanks again guys...
OK...another question (I'm tired now--too much research). I'm starting to get the impression that this problem is totally spark related now. I remembered that one of the first codes I got when this all began was "42" (EST/Bypass); however, after I replaced the IAC...no code came back. So I forgot about it...
Now, that code means that something in the circuit is grounded, right? So: take the time to find out where the ground is, or replace the EST circuit altogether (and the DIS if necessary) to make sure?

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 05:22 PM   #9  
Joe_F
Once again, read my basics posts below and tell us if you lack fuel, spark, or air, or any combination thereof.

Search this Thread