Maintenance-free Battery

Old 02-02-03, 07:05 AM
busterm
Visiting Guest
Maintenance-free Battery

My Lexus RX300 has a maintenance-free battery. It isn't sealed; it has screw-out plugs which allow you to easily add water. However, the manual clearly warns not to add water to the maintenance-free battery. Manual also says it is ok to add water if you have the maintenance battery. Looks like the only difference between maintenance-free and maintenance is that the maintenance-free has a decal designating it to be maintenance-free.

Anyone know why I can't add water to this maintenance-free battery?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-03, 09:12 AM
you can if you want but you shouldnt have to if the water level is above the plates if the water level is below the plates it is obviously low but you may want to take into consideration how old the battery is, maintence free batterys will get on the low side near the end of their life 4-5 years old by that time it is due to be replaced anyway and adding water isnt really going to get much more life out of it.

Old 02-02-03, 10:33 AM
busterm
Visiting Guest
Thanks. Water is still above plates and "eye" is gree indicating all is well. I was just curious as to why Lexus would say it is ok to add on one type but not the other. Think I'll top-up with distilled water and forget about it.

Old 02-02-03, 03:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
When it comes time to replace the battery, simply get one without the need to add water (like a Delco one). They last the longest, fit the best and work without trouble.

That's just the style battery used by the Japanese (and some German companies). They are useless. The water sweats out and the battery is wasted after a couple of years.

(BTW: Honda uses Delco batteries in many of their models and has been for many years ).

Old 02-03-03, 05:02 AM
busterm
Visiting Guest
Toyota Batteries

JoeF, thanks for the tip.

My experience with Toyota batteries is very different from yours. I have owned 7 Toyota/Lexus vehicles over the last 28 yrs. Current batteries are over 4 yrs old and working fine. Previous 5 batteries lasted an average of 5 yrs. Can't imagine a Toyota battery failing at 2 years.

Old 02-03-03, 05:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I think you missed the point . I'm not saying it will fail in 2 years. However, having to add water to a battery nowadays is akin to changing points---simply outdated .

Search this Thread