Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

F-150 Leaking valve cover?

MA

02-02-03, 09:26 AM   #1  
F-150 Leaking valve cover?

Hi,
I own a 1991 Ford F-150 with the 5.0L motor.It has 177,000 miles on it,but has been taken good care of.
A few years ago,the passenger side valve cover gasket was leaking oil,so I spent the money and had to fixed.It was an expensive job,as alot of stuff needs to be removed to do it,the plenum chamber,throttle body,etc...
a few years later and its leaking again,I can smell oil on the hot motor,and see oil around the cover.
With this many miles on the engine I really don't want to spend that kind of money on it again.
So i went out and tightened up the valve cover bolts a little,but I can't get to the ones towards the inner side?How can I get to those?Is there a trick?Any suggestions.The plenum is in the way....Thanks

Sponsored Links

02-02-03, 11:48 AM   #2  
No tricks that i can think of on this one.If you do the job again i'd suggest getting a Felpro high grade gasket.You might also check your pcv valve,which if stuck will cause excessive crankcase pressures which will make gaskets leak.

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 03:11 PM   #3  
Joe_F
Agree with Fordtech.

Search this Thread