Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Thermostsat mystery??

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 09:52 AM   #1  
scooter100
Thermostsat mystery??

1985 Dodge minivan, 2.6l 3 sp auto w/ 203,000 miles
The engine wouldn't get hot enough for the heater to work on a cold day. It apeared that the tstat was stuck open, so I replaced the tstat with a new one. This did not solve the proble. When I chug up a hill, the engine temp rises enough for the heater coil to warm up, but when I cruise downhill, the engine cools way down. I'm stumped. I put the tstat in with the brass plug/spring towards the engine block as shown on the tstat package. Is it in backwards? Did I get a bad tstat? thanks in advance, jeff

Sponsored Links

02-02-03, 11:42 AM   #2  
It sounds like you installed it correctly!! .Let the vehicle sit and idle for a while and see if all your hoses are getting hot,including both heater hoses going into the firewall.They should all feel about the same when the thermostat opens.All should be warm or hot to the touch.If their not then you could have got a bad thermostat that's stuck open also.

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 03:15 PM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with Fordtech.

Visiting Guest

02-07-03, 12:51 PM   #4  
scooter100
thanks fordtech, joe

The "return" hose from the heater coil is quite a bit cooler than the other hoses. I'll do a backflush of the heater coil and see if that helps. The temperature guage still hovers around the cold end of the guage. I'm still thinking that the tstat is bad? Any problem with getting a 195 degree tstat instead of the 180?

Visiting Guest

02-07-03, 02:50 PM   #5  
Joe_F
Get the OEM specified temperature---do not deviate. This may affect emission control.

Visiting Guest

02-11-03, 06:56 AM   #6  
scooter100
finally solved

Backflushed the heater coil and now the heater can get uncomfortably warm! thanks fordteck and joe

02-11-03, 08:24 AM   #7  
Sorry for not replying sooner but i'm glad you got it fixed!!!!!!

Search this Thread