Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ecm 1990 grand prix 3.1

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 12:15 PM   #1  
lreel
ecm 1990 grand prix 3.1

My check gauges light and service engine light have been coming on. A loacl garage conducted an engine analysis on my vehicle and advised that there are two possibilities.

1. ECM unit - Where is it located on the vehicle? I have been told it is not difficult to replace.....just a little expensive. Please describe what it looks like.

2. Air charge sensor - same question as above.

No wise remarks please,,,,I am just learning.

I did replace a muffler......a thermostat........and I complete basic services on my own without a problem. I have just never dealt with the electronics or emmission system before.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Sponsored Links

02-02-03, 01:15 PM   #2  
while those problems may be causing a check engine light i doubt it has anything to do with the check guages light.
air charge sensor is usually located on air cleaner box small sensor with 2 wire plug in, the ecm i think is under the hood on the right fender well, usually covered by either plastic inner fender or coolant resoirver bottle. usually a black box with about 4 connectors.

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 01:28 PM   #3  
lreel
1990 grand prix

Thanks for your help....I'll let you know if I am successful.

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 02:55 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Check gauges has to do with the dashboard gauges. Could have a bad oil pressure switch, charging problem, etc. Are the gauges working normally?

Visiting Guest

02-03-03, 03:31 PM   #5  
sirslinkster
does it have a dis ignition or a distributor

Visiting Guest

02-04-03, 05:56 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Linkster:

All of these models are distributorless from 1988 up.

Visiting Guest

02-04-03, 01:39 PM   #7  
sirslinkster
ok i was thinking it would be under the coils but thats the icm.oh well i got confused

02-04-03, 02:13 PM   #8  
Ireel, I doubt that your computer is bad. That's usually the last thing on the list to replace. You can read the error codes yourself or have them read again after you change the sensor. Write the code numbers down and re-post here and someone should be able to help you further.

Try this link for code retrieval.
http://www.batauto.com/GM

02-04-03, 06:29 PM   #9  
Did this problem happen after the thermostat R&R? If so, the coolant system was not bled. There is a speciel "bleeder screw" on the thermostat housing to do so. Yes this will set the coolant and engine light/gage on. The ECM/PCM is a known bad unit on this vehicle as well as bad clusters. Repeat, don't jump to replace parts, have it diagnosed correctly.

Visiting Guest

02-09-03, 07:02 PM   #10  
lreel
Thanks to everyone so far.

I bled the cooling system and now the low coolant light is off.

Still have check gauges light and the service engine light keeps coming on.

The oil guage goes high..........off the scale when I accelerate.
It also fluctuates up and down when the vehicle idles.

I really appreciate the help.

Am learning a lot.

02-09-03, 07:50 PM   #11  
if the oil guage is the only guage reading inncorrectly then thatis likely causing your check guages light to come on, good chance you may have a bad oil sending unit causing the problem. you should have codes read on your computer and see what comes up and post back here for the check engine light problem.

Search this Thread