Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

89 Camaro Seatbelts

02-02-03, 02:59 PM   #1  
89 Camaro Seatbelts

Joe,

This is in my 89 Camaro, 305, vin E. T-Tops. I just purchased some new seatbelts, but they are often slack and need to be reeled in by hand to maintain a snug fit.

You should know that the headliner is down being repaired - could the angle (without having the headliner in place) of the belt near the top retractor cause this annoyance?

Much thanks,

Maitai

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 03:03 PM   #2  
Joe_F
The seatbelts will lock forward with motion as inertia locks them. If you tug on them and they do not retract back automatically, they are wasted. If you feel that they do not do that, throw them out without question and replace them with new GM ones (if still available).

If discontinued by GM, send the originals out to Snake-Oyl Products and they will reweb and properly repair them. Do not gamble with questionable seatbelts.

I'm not really sure of your actual problem/question otherwise.

02-02-03, 03:10 PM   #3  
Joe,

Thanks for the speedy reply........These are brand new OEM belt from a GM dealership. When we wear the belts, they don't maintain a snug fit. We end up reaching behind near the top retractor and giving it a tug, thus reeling it in snug. I was just wondering whether the problem would be fixed when I replaced the headliner.........figured maybe the headliner fixed the angle of the belt into a position which allowed free movement of the belt, resulting in a snug fit without constantly hand adjusting it.......

Maitai

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 03:14 PM   #4  
Joe_F
I think I got your question now. The belts will slack a bit. If taking them in (pulling on them) reels them in, they are working properly.

Read your owner's manual and you'll see that they recommend putting a fist between your body and the belt to give some "comfort space" if the belt is too tight. In an accident, the belt will lock up due to inertia.

Make sure the belts are tightened to spec in all anchor points, both on the roof and in the floor. Use new bolts if you find the old ones in bad shape.

02-02-03, 03:16 PM   #5  
Thanks Joe, I appreciate it

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 03:41 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Sure thing.

Search this Thread