Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Coolant in Oil

Visiting Guest

02-02-03, 06:37 PM   #1  
controlpeddler
Coolant in Oil

1998 GMC Yukon V-8

On thursday I had the oil changed in my Yukon and then started on a 300 mile trip across state. During the trip I noticed my truck missing and being sluggish. After arriving at my destination the truck sat for apprx. 3-4 hours at which time I noticed a large pool of fluid under the truck. I checked the dip stick and noticed that the oil level was 2-3 inches above the rnage where it should be. I then called the shop where I had the oil changed done and they said I probably blew a head gasket and that the coolant had leaked into the engine. I checked the coolant resevior and it is dry. So I assume what they tell me is the case. Either a head gasket or intake(my regular mechanic told me these engines are bad about losing the intake gasket) Assuming this is the case and one of these 2 gaskets blew what kind of damage did I do to the engine after a 300 mile drive? What can I do to make sure that after I have the repair done that I remove all coolant residue? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-03-03, 01:45 AM   #2  
Joe_F
You don't mention the engine size, so I'll guess 350. Mileage?

I think you'll be fine after doing the repair and changing the oil and filter. Have the bearings checked if you are in doubt.

Search this Thread