Pontiac advice???

Old 02-02-03, 09:05 PM
CruzerNightz
Visiting Guest
Pontiac advice???

Hey guys, I have a 95 GrandPrix SE. I just have a question and if anyone has any advice feel free. My exhaust manifold is cracked. Do they make performance headers for my car that I can replace this manifold for? I don't know too much about these things, but performance headers would be a nice feature to add to my GP. If so, is this a job that I will be able to do, or should I have my mechanc put them in? If they dont make the performance headers and I would just be replacing the old ones for new stock ones, could I just drop a little bit of weld on the hole to cover it up, instead of gettign brand new headers? Is this possible? All help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-03, 01:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The engine size would be a colossal help to knowing which direction to go.

My personal advice: Keep it stock & replace the wasted manifold with a new OEM replacement. These front drive Pontiacs are a blasphemy to the Pontiac name as cookie cutter cars. In 1995, the only Pontiac worth souping up is a Firebird.

Yes, they make front wheel drive performance parts, but unless you're driving the supercharged GTP (which wasn't available in 1995), I think it's just a waste of money.

Real Pontiacs have Pontiac V8s and are rea wheel drive

(I own three of 'em )

My .02

Old 02-04-03, 09:27 AM
CruzerNightz
Visiting Guest
Engine type

Joe_F My car is the 3.1L V6.

Old 02-06-03, 07:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Noisy, crude, rough and loud powertrain---but gets the job done.

Zero benefit to adding performance parts to this...waste of money, keep it stock.

My .02

Old 02-07-03, 06:39 AM
CruzerNightz
Visiting Guest
Joe Cool
I am not sure if I got what your last thread said. Noisy, loud, crude?? Would that be if I dropped a bead of weld on it? If I do weld the header, would it be a difficult task? The stock headers with labor is $450. So I would love it if I could spend say, 3 or 4 hours of my time to save the $450. Thanks for all the advice so far tho.

Old 02-07-03, 03:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The 3.1 in this vehicle is loud, crude and rough---it sounds like a buzzsaw on steroids. LOL.

You could probably get the OEM manifolds a bit cheaper than that. Get the OEM # from a GM dealer and then try www.gmpartsdirect.com

My point is that putting any performance parts on a 3.1 is really a waste. Sure there are 3.1's that can run, but a 3.8 in stock form would wipe the floor with it. Keep the car stock and save some money.

As for doing it yourself, it could turn into a headache if bolts break in the cylinder head and the like. Best to have a muffler shop with a torch and a compressor handle it for you.