3.1L EFI Cavalier Stalles after warmed up

Old 02-03-03, 12:28 PM
Buzzjockey
Visiting Guest
3.1L EFI Cavalier Stalles after warmed up

I have a problem with my 93 Cavalier 3.1L V6. It runns fine until it gets completely warmed up. When I come to a stop it stalls (kills).
It restarts just fine and runs fine in neutral or park. When I go to put it in gear(automatic trans) it dies. This is quite embarassing at a red light. to get it going i have to rev the motor and slam it in gear( I know this is bad on the trany). I did a tune-up- Plugs, wires, fuel filter, Air filter, and thermostat. Still have the problem but it is a slightly better. And also this problem is intermittent. It won't do it on the next 2 stops but then does it on the next 5 to 7 stops like the problem is a sensor that it kicking in and out.
The car runns fine once you get moving.

My next thought is to change the o2 sensor and either M.A.P. sensor or the Idle Air Control Valve.

There is no engine light on and I need to know where do I put the jumper to get the DTC codes?

Please help
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-03, 01:22 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You have a wasted TCC (torque converter clutch) solenoid. It is not worth fixing in most cases as a good portion of the tranny has to come apart ($$$) to fix it. At minimum the side cover needs to come off and some GM trannies had internal leakage inside the valve body area.

There's a square connector on top of the tranny with a couple of wires on it. Pull that out. Tell us if your problem goes away.

If you choose to get it fixed (unplugging the plug saps fuel mileage as the converter will not lock up anymore), have it done by someone competent and when the tranny fluid and filter is serviced.

This is a common GM problem---happened on my own 1989 Cavalier.

Tell us what you find after disconnecting the plug.

Old 02-03-03, 07:18 PM
Buzzjockey
Visiting Guest
Angry TCC

Can you be more specific on where this connector is and how to get to it?

Thanx
Buzzjockey

P.S. the car also lunges and sucks gas when the problem is occuring. and it runs much rougher. Is there anything else it could be?( wishful thinking as I have a t-bird with a craked block in the shop getting fixed right now).

Old 02-04-03, 06:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check autolibrary.org for more information.

As I said, the connector is a square four pin job on the top of the tranny. Disconnect and see what happens.

Old 02-11-03, 07:46 AM
Buzzjockey
Visiting Guest
Thanx for your help, you were absolutley correct in your diagnosis and solution of the problem. Car runs good now and the gas milage is not that bad.

Old 02-11-03, 09:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good job.